Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW 2024 Rd 8: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs @ Ikon. (Read 547 times) previous topic - next topic

AFLW 2024 Rd 8: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs @ Ikon.

In Celine Moody
Out Lila Keck

Backs 15 Meg Robertson 21 Harriet Cordner
Half Backs 6 Gab Pound 9 Kerryn Peterson 10 Mimi Hill
Centre 22 Mia Austin 5 Abbie McKay 4 Keeley Skepper
Half Forwards 25 Keeley Sherar 3 Darcy Vescio 26 Tarni Brown
Forwards 17 Dayna Finn 12 Jessica Good
Followers 16 Breann Moody 18 Madeleine Guerin 20 Lily Goss
Interchange 34 Taylor Ortlepp 14 Marianna Anthony 8 Celine Moody 36 Ciara Fitzgerald 27 Gen Lawson-Tavan

Emeregncies 1 Amelia Velardo 29 Jade Halfpenny 13 Lulu Beatty

Re: AFLW 2024 Rd 8: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs @ Ikon.

Reply #1
In Celine Moody
Out Lila Keck

Backs 15 Meg Robertson 21 Harriet Cordner
Half Backs 6 Gab Pound 9 Kerryn Peterson 10 Mimi Hill
Centre 22 Mia Austin 5 Abbie McKay 4 Keeley Skepper
Half Forwards 25 Keeley Sherar 3 Darcy Vescio 26 Tarni Brown
Forwards 17 Dayna Finn 12 Jessica Good
Followers 16 Breann Moody 18 Madeleine Guerin 20 Lily Goss
Interchange 34 Taylor Ortlepp 14 Marianna Anthony 8 Celine Moody 36 Ciara Fitzgerald 27 Gen Lawson-Tavan

Emeregncies 1 Amelia Velardo 29 Jade Halfpenny 13 Lulu Beatty

I'm surprised to see Lily Goss up, as she was helped from the ground last week.
I'm surprised to see Celine Moody come in, as she hasn't been doing much.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2

Perhaps Buck is hoping for a "playing against your old team" lift or perhaps Celine will be able to show something against Footscray's quite weak line up and insipid performances.

Somehow, I'm not sure that we'll be in for a great spectacle but I can wear that if we notch up our fourth win.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #3

Not only that, she was taken away in the back of the ambulance!

Done well to get up.

Reply #4
Darcy Vescio a late out with 'delayed concussion'

Reply #5
Darcy Vescio a late out with 'delayed concussion'

Darcy seemed to be going alright during the game but you never know with concussion.  Hopefully, it won't have any long term complications.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #6
Getting 100% smashed
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #7
Not a great result.

Season well and truly over.

A % of 47.3% should tell you all you need to know about how competitive we are this year.....especially remembering we kept Geelong Goaless in our game!

Reply #8
Not a great result.

Season well and truly over.

A % of 47.3% should tell you all you need to know about how competitive we are this year.....especially remembering we kept Geelong Goaless in our game!
Huge Crowd of 1320.
Take away family members and friends of  players etc lucky is there is 500 actual fans attended.

When will they concede this comp wont work.

Reply #9
Footscray kicked 9 goals after failing to kick a goal in their last two games.

We have a core group of elite players but most opposition teams seem to have more talls who can play as genuine KPPs and not just repurposed rucks.

Apart from the AFL’s decisions that made it easy for players to change clubs, the compressed, compromised fixture does nothing to enhance the game.  After such a promising start, the AFL has done very little to actually build the game.

Reply #10
Huge Crowd of 1320.
Take away family members and friends of  players etc lucky is there is 500 actual fans attended.

When will they concede this comp wont work.

Thursday night in the rain with 2 teams who have been in poor form was never going ro be a blockbuster.

Reply #11
Nothing succeeds like success... ;)

"If you win them, they will come."...even in the rain.

I remember sitting at Swans games in the wet back in the 1990s when there was only one or two of us there.....and I'm not sure the other bloke was human.
It was a far cry from the Edelstein years.
The Swans were a basket case
Yet only a few short years later they were top of the ladder and played in a Grand Final.
Back came the crowds...and they haven't really left again.

Culture and History doesn't come overnight.
It's particulary difficult to find in a compromised competition, that is still not settled, with a talent pool that is very thinly spread, and a competition that is well short of truly professional

Don't compare it to the men's game.
That's approaching two hundred years of history with support of the game handed down through generations.

Reply #12
Most fans are bandwagoners.

Success isnt the sole performance indicator though.  If the product is tough to watch, people just arent going to tune in let alone attend.  I know one person who was happy to go in season 1 purely to witness history so he could say he was there.

Id say he hasnt gone again but AFL level he is a casual oberver at best for the mens game anyway, and I cant tell you if he supports a team.  I don't think you can compare the codes to anything you've seen more than 5 years recently anyway.  Watching some historic Chris Judd footage shows how much the AFL has evolved since his time, and he hasnt been out of it that long by comparison, but 10 years ago seems a far cry to the current game let alone another 10 years before that.

People moan about womens sport, and yes you will see women at the AFL watching men, but historically the ones I know that go, like the mens game not necessarily to watch them play but due to the fact that you are watching chiselled hunks play, and its a reality of the game, that players that are more attractive on the female eye, are more likely to be successful in the game.  Being ugly isnt a hinderance, but you wont be lauded like the others.  I learned that reality from the English Premier League in the 90's where two of the games greats (Peter Beardsley and Matt Le Tissier), were not celebrated as much like a superstar like David Beckham, but arguably played better football.  Of course, being easy on the eye isn't the only thing you need, you must be able to back it up with some substance, else its marketing and not much else, but shirt sales is where the money is at.  Beckham provided his fair share of highlights whilst playing football. 

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #13
Thursday night in the rain with 2 teams who have been in poor form was never going ro be a blockbuster.

But Shauny was there, cheering, waving his flag in support of the girls, trying to lift them.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #14
I think the standard of the average VFL game is subpar, and I'm not sure I would play money to watch them play.

The girls and the AFLW are experiencing growing pains IMO, nothing more and nothing less.