Skip to main content
Topic: AFL 2024 Elimination Final 1 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 6335 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL 2024 Elimination Final 1 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #315
I may be the odd man out then.
I'm disappointed, but not perplexed.
Certainly not angry....not even hurting.

It was what it was.
Once the injuries hit us our season virtually ended.
Folks will say we were off before that, but we were sitting in second having crushed Geelong and were being talked up as premiership favourites.
It wasn't just injuries that had players missing games, but the fact that players were forced to play with injuries and the cumulative effect of that meant the season would finish pretty much as it did.

Do folks think that if Binns, Lord, Moir and Cincotta had played we would have won.
We couldn't beat St Kilda with those 4 playing and Cincotta who seemed an obvious matchup for someone like Zorko was dropped. So obviously it was considered that he had gone off the boil from the shut-down roles he'd performed in previous weeks.
At best it might have made a slight difference to the start.
Some might say we came back and they started to panic.
There was an element of that, but we were never going to win.
They eased off and then had to comeback and seal the game...which they did.
Brisbane had the game won and were looking to next week.
Our last three goals were junk time goals.
Two to Pittonet says it all.

But if TDK had played all the game???
We were at the point where it was considered that he was a major weapon but the doubt was on the ability to see out the game.
If we're going to count out players because there is a doubt over their fitness and ability to see out the game as some have argued....then surely he doesn't play at all.
That wouldn't have gone well.
The fact is we had no idea how long he would last, or how he would perform after a lay-off.
That he did well is a credit to him, and the sooner we get him on a long term deal the better.

So... not angry.
Not hurting
A bit disappointed.
That's all a bit of a waste of time...what's done is done
Moved on already...but maybe hoping and expecting some changes around the caoching structure and football department.
Looking forward to the trade and draft periods and a more settled side in 2025....because time is running out for this group, and major changes will take us back a few squares.

Playing Binns, Lord, Moir and Cincotta would have made us more competitive. Blokes fit enough to actually get to contests. Not thinking we were winning at all but would have been more competitive. Might have been 30-0 instead of 60 with a few bloke's actually switched on. At least you'd feel some chance from there rather than hopeless. As for not beating the Saints, remember the Saints very comfortably beat Geelong the previous week. They had found their form. The 4 bloke's would have blended in with some coming back. It would not have been totally the previous week's side.

Reply #316
You’re not the odd man out Lods.

While I may disagree with some decisions Vossy, the MC or Nick Austin may make, I accept that they are informed decisions made by folk who are far more knowledgeable than me but don’t have the benefit of hindsight.

It wouldn’t have mattered which 23 players were selected or who was the sub, the result wouldn’t have changed, particularly if our arousal level wasn’t increased.

Our season was screwed by injuries but that provided opportunities and learnings that will make us stronger next season.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #317
You’re not the odd man out Lods.

While I may disagree with some decisions Vossy, the MC or Nick Austin may make, I accept that they are informed decisions made by folk who are far more knowledgeable than me but don’t have the benefit of hindsight.

It wouldn’t have mattered which 23 players were selected or who was the sub, the result wouldn’t have changed, particularly if our arousal level wasn’t increased.

Our season was screwed by injuries but that provided opportunities and learnings that will make us stronger next season.
For me there were two or three key injuries that derailed our season overall:
- Doc rnd 0
- TDK rnd 19
- Charlie rnd 22
TDK especially was a massive loss given how he was playing and that dashed all hopes of a semi successful finals campaign.
The 6 injuries from the Hawthorn game was IMO a 1 in a 100 year event which was also catastrophic.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #318
Charlie did his ankle before the Giants game, rumours he stepped in a hole in the ground where the sprinklers are.
In the same game TDK, Weitering and McGovern were also injured.
At the same time we were getting ahead of ourselves messing with a midfield that was working.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #319
Playing Binns, Lord, Moir and Cincotta would have made us more competitive. Blokes fit enough to actually get to contests. Not thinking we were winning at all but would have been more competitive. Might have been 30-0 instead of 60 with a few bloke's actually switched on. At least you'd feel some chance from there rather than hopeless.

Yes agree Laj, that is the key to me also. Playing some or all those four guys would have made us more competitive!                            We were anything but competitive at 0 score to 10 goals at half time.

Ab

Reply #320
Charlie did his ankle before the Giants game, rumours he stepped in a hole in the ground where the sprinklers are.
In the same game TDK, Weitering and McGovern were also injured.
At the same time we were getting ahead of ourselves messing with a midfield that was working.

can't disagree with that.

Also dropping young when he had filled a hole and playing ok was a mistake. 

That's the stuff that wrecked our season.  We kept rushing players back.  We get one good run out from a player returning from injury and then they gradually taper off.  Sure they need match fitness but not everyone needs to come in via the afl.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #321
people stop analysing lions game we were cooked look at the whole year wen we had a better side and lost ,it is the crap game plan u12 stuff. Recall port game we kicked 1 goal second half anyway onto recruiting and drafting hope we find the pieces 

Reply #322
I still believe the "level of disappointment is directly related to the level of expectation"

Here's the thing...
Once a result is confirmed it's the only outcome that can be analysed.
It's the only outcome that matters.
Speculating on other scenarios and what-ifs is just a guess.

So there were probably three main lines of thinking prior to the start of the game.

Group 1 -We had no chance whatever team we put on the park... injuries have killed us.
Group 2- It would be a struggle, but if we could get a few of our better players back we weren't without a chance.
Group 3- We were a good chance...if the MC selected the right players, the young and the uninjured.

So depending on each persons thinking prior to the game the result has left us with...

Group 1-Relief it's over ...on to 2025
Group 2-Disappointed but resigned.
Group 3- Angry and upset.

The level of disappointment will vary according to our expectations. Some will move on  quickly, others may take a bit of time.

Reply #323

So depending on each persons thinking prior to the game the result has left us with...

Group 1-Relief it's over ...on to 2025
Group 2-Disappointed but resigned.
Group 3- Angry and upset.

The level of disappointment will vary according to our expectations. Some will move on  quickly, others may take a bit of time.

What generates the expectations and reactions is results to some degree, but the bigger generator I would argue is personality type. You can predict with a high level of accuracy how the various posters on here will react to a given situation, and that includes all of us.

Reply #324
What generates the expectations and reactions is results to some degree, but the bigger generator I would argue is personality type. You can predict with a high level of accuracy how the various posters on here will react to a given situation, and that includes all of us.

I think you're both right as its a combination of the 2.

Just out of curiosity,
Which group do you think i belong too?
What about a random selection of others?

Reply #325
I think you're both right as its a combination of the 2.

Just out of curiosity,
Which group do you think i belong too?
What about a random selection of others?

I think the best way for me to participate on the forums with some peace of mind and some joy is to keep my personal commentary to a minimum.

Reply #326
I think the best way for me to participate on the forums with some peace of mind and some joy is to keep my personal commentary to a minimum.

You get splinters in your butt if you sit on the fence too much.  :P

Reply #327
You get splinters in your butt if you sit on the fence too much.  :P

But that's a position.
And sometimes it's the best position. ;)
It's like politics...the centre is the best :D

I reckon you would be a group 3 Kruds...but I think your disappointment will fade quickly because your focus will switch to List management.
I suspect you'll probably reference the result next year in pre-match threads if you think the MC have stuffed up at selection.

I was somewhere between a 1 and a 2.
I thought we might have a chance if some of our better players came back and boosted the side but we didn't get them back in a match fit state.
That's the other point. There's a difference between being 'fit to play' and being 'match fit'.
The first one is easy to determine.
The second pretty difficult.
Tom is a good example.
They didn't think he could last the game.
As it turned out he probably could have.

Reply #328
Playing Binns, Lord, Moir and Cincotta would have made us more competitive. Blokes fit enough to actually get to contests. Not thinking we were winning at all but would have been more competitive. Might have been 30-0 instead of 60 with a few bloke's actually switched on. At least you'd feel some chance from there rather than hopeless. As for not beating the Saints, remember the Saints very comfortably beat Geelong the previous week. They had found their form. The 4 bloke's would have blended in with some coming back. It would not have been totally the previous week's side.

Yeah, nah!

Cincotta for Kennedy maybe. Lord would have had a crack, Binns would have been brushed aside and Moir is fit enough to play a whole game.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #329
But that's a position.
And sometimes it's the best position. ;)
It's like politics...the centre is the best :D

I reckon you would be a group 3 Kruds...but I think your disappointment will fade quickly because your focus will switch to List management.
I suspect you'll probably reference the result next year in pre-match threads if you think the MC have stuffed up at selection.

I was somewhere between a 1 and a 2.
I thought we might have a chance if some of our better players came back and boosted the side but we didn't get them back in a match fit state.
That's the other point. There's a difference between being 'fit to play' and being 'match fit'.
The first one is easy to determine.
The second pretty difficult.
Tom is a good example.
They didn't think he could last the game.
As it turned out he probably could have.

I was 100% a group 2.

Didn't want the year to be over (group 1) but thought anything is possibly, no matter how unlikely. I was pretty much resigned to losing (and moving onto next year) when the team was announced. But there is always that little bit of hope from this side who doesn't give up.