Skip to main content
Topic: AFL 2024 Elimination Final 1 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 6328 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL 2024 Elimination Final 1 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #300
like to ask 1 question , if wizard mk2 kicked 4 goals against bulldogs how would he go in our team the way ball comes into our f50,our slow ball movement  ?

Reply #301
Agreed but ironically it may be Owies that goes.
as he has currency.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #302
Agreed but ironically it may be Owies that goes.
Looks that way Cookie and I dont understand any of it, think I heard his 33 goals this season was the most from a SF since Jeff Garlett in 2013.

Reply #303
When Zac Williams was moved forward he kicked 15 goals in 7 games before he was injured against the Bulldogs.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #304
as he has currency.

Yep
Reading around there are quite a few clubs interested.
Personally I'd rather keep him
But the club may be looking at his age compared to Motlop and Durdin and choose to move him on.
I think his value might not be in a swap for a pick ...but rather bundled with a pick for a player of need.

Reply #305
And yet I have a little more faith in Durdin than Motlop but that's not saying much as their bars arent high.

Remember though, Motlop spent the year injured and didn't play until round 19 this year due to injury. Not a hope he was doing well.

Reply #306
Yep
But the club may be looking at his age compared to Motlop and Durdin and choose to move him on.
I think his value might not be in a swap for a pick ...but rather bundled with a pick for a player of need.

I think it’s likely to unfold that way.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #307
Yep
I like owies but he's no Eddie betts.  I know once bitten twice shy, but his 2023 was actually better than his 2024.  Kicked 27 goals off 18 games rather than 33 off 23. 

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #308
Remember though, Motlop spent the year injured and didn't play until round 19 this year due to injury. Not a hope he was doing well.
Fair bit of TOG (%P)
Rd     KI     MK  HB     DI     GL     BH     TK     RB     IF     CL     CG     1%   BO     GA     %P 
20     4       1      2      6        3                  2       2      1                  1                                       67
21     3       2      4      7         1                   3               2                                                  1      80
22     6       4      3      9                   1                         2                2                                2      74
23     7       4      3      10                 1         1       3        1       2       5        2                           90
24     2                6      8        1                  3                  1      1          3         1                         69
25     2                2      4        1         1       2                           1        2                                   77
EF     6       4      4      10                  1       4         1              1          3                                    85
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #309
Fair bit of TOG (%P)
Rd     KI     MK  HB     DI     GL     BH     TK     RB     IF     CL     CG     1%   BO     GA     %P 
20     4       1      2      6        3                  2       2      1                  1                                       67
21     3       2      4      7         1                   3               2                                                  1      80
22     6       4      3      9                   1                         2                2                                2      74
23     7       4      3      10                 1         1       3        1       2       5        2                           90
24     2                6      8        1                  3                  1      1          3         1                         69
25     2                2      4        1         1       2                           1        2                                   77
EF     6       4      4      10                  1       4         1              1          3                                    85

Still not a hope he was going to play well after that long out. I had him dropped for that reason a few weeks ago, bar the part where we ran out of players. He was struggling in the VFL quite a bit before he came back. Probably should not have come back.

Reply #310
I like owies but he's no Eddie betts.  I know once bitten twice shy, but his 2023 was actually better than his 2024.  Kicked 27 goals off 18 games rather than 33 off 23. 

Not a huge difference. Just shows he's a consistent goalkicker.

Reply #311
The number of posts to this topic shows the concern that supporters/members are feeling after last weekend.  Not only at the game outcome, but the deficiencies in player selection and player management.

It is suggested a letter could be sent to the club, (say to Brian Cook Chief Executive Officer) from the Moderators seeking explanation to some of the decision made by the coaches/selectors and hopefully some acknowledgement of mistakes .

There have been lots of good points raised by various CSC members (including several by Baggers that hit the bullseye.  imo).   To get the ball rolling, here are a few thoughts from various member postings for someone to compose a letter.

Team Selection  - Carlton v Brisbane final
   Selecting payers who had been out injured, had been breaking down consistently during the season or broke down when last played,
      Players who had performed poorly when selected for previous games.
   Ignoring three young players who were match fit and had performed well in   the last two AFL games.
   Leaving out Cincotta our best shut down player.

Team selection - Season 2024
   Not rewarding player form in our VFL side
   Failure to play young players from VFL side during the season in order they experience AFL tempo and to view their potential/development progress.
   Dropping consistent performers Kennedy and Hewett to VFL side
   Selecting players on perceived ability or past performance, not on form. (playing favourites)

VFL side - Strong seconds side/club culture often a feature of AFL premiership winning clubs.
(Eg Box hill Hawks, Geelong VFL Cats, Casey Demons, etc)

Our AFL listed players more likely to be ready for move up, if playing in a strong VFL side.       
   Carlton VFL side appears not to have the required level of support from the club to achieve.

Reply #312
Good read, City of Churches (AB).

To a person, every Bluebagger I know is at least perplexed and deeply disappointed through to still hurting and even angry.
And that anger is due to most of us knowing those changes at selection last week were problematic, even silly.

Vossy attempting to justify his selections of so many suspect players having gotten through the game without injury is embarrassing. Not about that at all. Apart from TDK and perhaps H, how many of those inclusions made a strong, positive impact on the game? How could they, they were underdone and lacked match fitness and confidence.

And for Brad Lloyd to put our failure and consistent inconsistency at the feet of injury, alone, was convenient and predictable. He obviously believes members and supporters are supremely gullible. I'm betting that behind closed doors there are smarter people asking stronger questions. Well, I hope so. When accountability is avoided no meaningful change can take hold and stick.

Was The Terrier's departure the scapegoat that the failures of others needed for a collective sign of relief? 'Don't look at me, it's all his fault.'

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #313
Good read, City of Churches (AB).

To a person, every Bluebagger I know is at least perplexed and deeply disappointed through to still hurting and even angry.
And that anger is due to most of us knowing those changes at selection last week were problematic, even silly.

I may be the odd man out then.
I'm disappointed, but not perplexed.
Certainly not angry....not even hurting.

It was what it was.
Once the injuries hit us our season virtually ended.
Folks will say we were off before that, but we were sitting in second having crushed Geelong and were being talked up as premiership favourites.
It wasn't just injuries that had players missing games, but the fact that players were forced to play with injuries and the cumulative effect of that meant the season would finish pretty much as it did.

Do folks think that if Binns, Lord, Moir and Cincotta had played we would have won.
We couldn't beat St Kilda with those 4 playing and Cincotta who seemed an obvious matchup for someone like Zorko was dropped. So obviously it was considered that he had gone off the boil from the shut-down roles he'd performed in previous weeks.
At best it might have made a slight difference to the start.
Some might say we came back and they started to panic.
There was an element of that, but we were never going to win.
They eased off and then had to comeback and seal the game...which they did.
Brisbane had the game won and were looking to next week.
Our last three goals were junk time goals.
Two to Pittonet says it all.

But if TDK had played all the game???
We were at the point where it was considered that he was a major weapon but the doubt was on the ability to see out the game.
If we're going to count out players because there is a doubt over their fitness and ability to see out the game as some have argued....then surely he doesn't play at all.
That wouldn't have gone well.
The fact is we had no idea how long he would last, or how he would perform after a lay-off.
That he did well is a credit to him, and the sooner we get him on a long term deal the better.

So... not angry.
Not hurting
A bit disappointed.
That's all a bit of a waste of time...what's done is done
Moved on already...but maybe hoping and expecting some changes around the caoching structure and football department.
Looking forward to the trade and draft periods and a more settled side in 2025....because time is running out for this group, and major changes will take us back a few squares.

Reply #314
Our premiership campaign ended on that Sunday afternoon against Hawthorn. That was the nail.

I'm positive about our future.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!