Skip to main content
Topic: AFL 2024 Elimination Final 1 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 6302 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL 2024 Elimination Final 1 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #195
Like any big business when you do that though you have to wear the incoming and admit your mistakes. It's been a wasted year due to injury etc but to rock up in a elimination final and give nothing for half a game isn't going to be tolerated that's not injury etc that's players and coaches not up for the fight and it was down right embarrassing and revisiting the dark days.

100%, the gamble was that if we won, the returning players had a game under their belt.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #196
100%, the gamble was that if we won, the returning players had a game under their belt.
I couldn't see us progressing and I would have preferred some finals experience for Lord, Moir, Binns etc...

Reply #197
While I agree with that Paul, as Daisy Thomas pointed out, our arousal level was far too low at the start of the game.  That’s largely a collective coaching responsibility but with Vossy bearing the lion’s share (oops!).  The leadership group also has to take some of the blame.

I’m always impressed by Vossy’s calm demeanour, but perhaps he was too calm and needed to rev the boys up a tad more.  He does seem to learn from his mistakes and I don’t expect to see low arousal levels again.

I don’t buy the criticism of Vossy’s game day coaching.  He’s as good as the next coach and his planning and preparation is very good.  Injuries, and the lack of depth those injuries exposed, screwed our season.
Nathan Buckley has just slammed the tactic of playing E Hollands behind the ball early and leaving us one short down forward fuelling Zorko. Doesnt buy the injury excuse given the poor effort.
The Kennedy sub fiasco, selecting unfit players etc....I like Voss the man but his tactics are questionable and he is in charge and ultimately responsible.

Reply #198
It seems to me that we have lost too many games where we are well in front and lose.
Last year's final against Brisbane, Swans this year, Giants & Bulldogs.
No plan B when the opposition have us worked out!!!
This game we were worked out before the bounce and again had no answer!!!

Reply #199
It seems to me that we have lost too many games where we are well in front and lose.
Last year's final against Brisbane, Swans this year, Giants & Bulldogs.
No plan B when the opposition have us worked out!!!
This game we were worked out before the bounce and again had no answer!!!

I mean, that's not quite right. We won the 2nd half quite convincingly, on the back of a few things, which included adjustments and changes made by the coaches. It was of course too little too late, but there was a Plan B and it worked.

Reply #200
I mean, that's not quite right. We won the 2nd half quite convincingly, on the back of a few things, which included adjustments and changes made by the coaches. It was of course too little too late, but there was a Plan B and it worked.
Yes, it's very hard to enact multiple plans when so many are out, no matter what fans or media vitriol suggests, injuries are a reason.

Even so while not expecting a victory, I'm still at a loss to explain the 40-50 minutes, I'm not shocked by our poor ball use because it's what we do, but I'm absolutely horrified by our lack of F50 entries. Even roving to a hopelessly losing ruck it's fair to expect Cripps, Walsh, Hewett, Cerra, etc., etc., to deliver more than just a couple of entries.

So the weekend was our worst case scenario, we hardly had any F50 entries and we wasted pretty much all of them.

The loss isn't a surprise, how we lost is. The Lions turned our strength, one of the AFL's most dominant strengths, into a outright weakness!
"Ruck, ruck, ruck, ruck ....... Ruck, ruck, ruck, ruck"

Reply #201
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-finals-2024-carlton-blues-player-ratings-vs-brisbane-lions-from-first-elimination-final-patrick-cripps-sam-docherty-highlights-stats-best-and-worst-players/news-story/466ffeed2df7cb0d0b307fcfb86edf3f

Worst players...
Williams - 2
Durdin - 2
Motlop - 3
O. Hollands - 3
Kennedy - 3
Fantasia - 4
Cowan - 4
Cerra - 4
Kemp - 4
Saad - 4

4 small forwards and cerra was who I had an issue with pre-game.

5 of our worst 10 players were from that group including the worst 2.

I also had an issue with tdk starting as sub and said he shouldve started.
Tdk - 6
Pittonet - 6
Walsh - 6
Newman - 6
Weitering - 6
Acres - 7
Cripps - 8
Hewett - 8

'Post game experts' they say.

The loss is hard enough to take.
But when you can highlight the issues before the game (and I'm not alone in this) it makes it all that harder to take.

Not sure who Jack Jovanovski is - but that read as though a Pies or Dons supporter wrote it.   Managed to stick the boots into EVERY player and seemed to enjoy it.  I know we were woeful, but FOX probably shouldnt have a work experieince kid, with a skinful, writing the player reviews

Reply #202
All I know is, there may be plenty of excuses, but we have to find an answer for those excuses......

Get tough and do it!   FFS, if McGovern kicked the goal after the siren and we'd held on against the Saints, we would have been playing Port Adelaide in the Qualifying final.

We need to find the ruthless edge again - for me, we play too nice......
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #203
The cue was in the rack in the 2nd half, lets be honest about it. Even Fagan said, we were nover going to win that game.

Reply #204
Not sure who Jack Jovanovski is - but that read as though a Pies or Dons supporter wrote it.   Managed to stick the boots into EVERY player and seemed to enjoy it.  I know we were woeful, but FOX probably shouldnt have a work experieince kid, with a skinful, writing the player reviews

Yes, whoever wrote it was loving every minute. Still, he did have a point. All clubs have stinkers, including the Swans losing to Port by 112 (although some clubs produce stinkers at more regular intervals than others). I doubt anyone will ever figure out why, except that players and coaches are people, and all of us have unexplainable stinkers now and again. Most of us can get away with only a few people seeing them. In football, they are as ugly as dog's balls, and stick out just as much.

Reply #205
The cue was in the rack in the 2nd half, lets be honest about it. Even Fagan said, we were nover going to win that game.

The last couple of junk time goals yes I agree. But not before that IMO.

Reply #206
All I know is, there may be plenty of excuses, but we have to find an answer for those excuses......

Get tough and do it!   FFS, if McGovern kicked the goal after the siren and we'd held on against the Saints, we would have been playing Port Adelaide in the Qualifying final.

We need to find the ruthless edge again - for me, we play too nice......
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #207
The last couple of junk time goals yes I agree. But not before that IMO.

And can I also just add. If Fagan seriously thinks putting the cue in the rack in an EF is a good strategy, then he needs a good talking to. If you're that cocky by half time, it's little wonder they have no silverware to show for their efforts.

Reply #209
Nathan Buckley has just slammed the tactic of playing E Hollands behind the ball early and leaving us one short down forward fuelling Zorko. Doesnt buy the injury excuse given the poor effort.
The Kennedy sub fiasco, selecting unfit players etc....I like Voss the man but his tactics are questionable and he is in charge and ultimately responsible.
Nafan can slam all he likes, he doesn't know the tactical reasoning for it, only the coaching team does. Again, things were done that seem/ed poor but there was logic behind them at the time, they didnt work.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time