Skip to main content
Topic: AFL 2024 Elimination Final 1 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 6334 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL 2024 Elimination Final 1 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #135
Everyone predicted us to lose, no one predicted Port to get smashed.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #136
What else did Nobody predict. He's a smart guy

Nobody knows what would have happened if we'd selected differently.
 ;)  :D

Reply #137
Match committee needs a shake up, someone has been putting too much faith in “established” names.
Maybe we need a stronger voice to argue for boldness in selection, or will it be a cull of assistants that brings in a fresh thought process ?
As head coach Voss is right to have strong beliefs in lists, selection and gameplan, but does he need to back up and listen to other voices ?
We can sit here now and can all see that we should have been playing some of the kids earlier… if only we’d rested Charlie when he first injured himself he may have only missed 1-2 weeks.
A big soul searching off season coming up for the coaching group and their methodologies.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #138
I’m in agreement with LP about the turnovers particularly in the first 1/2.
We got the ball under pressure usually and bombed it… where it was picked off and controlled, as opposed to them bombing it back.
We needed to get a short kick to a target in blue instead we bombed to maroon and blue !
Make no mistake, they were waiting for our bombs and were ready to offer the short lead to allow them to control the ball.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #139
I’m in agreement with LP about the turnovers particularly in the first 1/2.
We got the ball under pressure usually and bombed it… where it was picked off and controlled, as opposed to them bombing it back.
We needed to get a short kick to a target in blue instead we bombed to maroon and blue !
Make no mistake, they were waiting for our bombs and were ready to offer the short lead to allow them to control the ball.

Same old, same old NB... soon as H returned we predicted the bombing would return, and it did. Against the Weagles, we couldn't bomb and had to lower our eyes, and we did, and we scored.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #140
I may have missed a comment in this thread however one player who seems to have escaped scrutiny is Elijah Hollands.

He’s been ok over the H&A rounds, however he is painfully slow across the ground and often takes too long to dispose of the ball. And, when the heat was on in the first half he was miles off the pace - I’m not convinced at all.

He’s also yet another player that just doesn’t present like an AFL footballer who has done the work in the gym - you can also add Fantasia, Oliver Hollands, Young and to a lesser extent McGovern & Newman to that list.

The new fitness bloke from the swans is going to have a laugh when he sees our crew.

Reply #141
I'd like to get some angry pills into some of our boys. They seem to play without them and I think we could use some.

Did you see when Newman handed the ball back to Rayner after the ump paid a mark, Rayner immediately forearmed him in the chest as a nice “thank you”.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #142
Re watched the game and its so evident how important a fit TDK is to us. The bloke is a freakish talent and game changer and with a strong injury free pre season who knows how impactful he will become. His agility is so rare and has very quick hands and even if he misses the tap he is a big fast moving mid after the ruck contest. Impossible to contain.

We go from looking one paced to fast when he is in the ruck and even though he was less then 100% he is a vital cog for us and was imo our biggest loss in the last section of the year.

Would love to have this guy fully fit entering a finals period.

Reply #143
I may have missed a comment in this thread however one player who seems to have escaped scrutiny is Elijah Hollands.

He’s been ok over the H&A rounds, however he is painfully slow across the ground and often takes too long to dispose of the ball. And, when the heat was on in the first half he was miles off the pace - I’m not convinced at all.

He’s also yet another player that just doesn’t present like an AFL footballer who has done the work in the gym - you can also add Fantasia, Oliver Hollands, Young and to a lesser extent McGovern & Newman to that list.

The new fitness bloke from the swans is going to have a laugh when he sees our crew.

I’m not as firm as you in wanting everyone to have a Kouta build but E Hollands seems to have too many abs for mine…
I was watching last night thinking that O Hollands is filling out well, he’s a young running machine who you don’t want bulking up too quickly, I’m happy with him.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #144
The hollands boys are 2 and 3 years into their afl careers.  Yes they aren't he man yet, but give them some time.   Some blokes are built differently.  The cat kid from WA took multiple years to get his body to afl level amd whilst he has relished working inside the contest, lij had a decent year for a first year at a new club.

The suspension of owies killed us.  Meant we had to play durdin and motlop and couldn't drop either of them.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #145
How important is it to have your VFL side playing into September. There were no proper match practice opportunities to our long list of returning players, a number who would have been able to have a run during the bye.

Also, if there were doubts about TDK over 120 minutes, why not start off with him, see how far he can go, then bring Pitt on when the game has slowed done??

Reply #146
I’m not as firm as you in wanting everyone to have a Kouta build but E Hollands seems to have too many abs for mine…
I was watching last night thinking that O Hollands is filling out well, he’s a young running machine who you don’t want bulking up too quickly, I’m happy with him.
Thought Ollie was poor early and a liability, he did better later in the game down back but we need him doing better to hold his place moving forward. He gives effort for sure and is a likeable kid but the wings have become a important position like they were decades ago where teams play through and we need A grade players to match up on the opposition.

Reply #147
LACK OF PACE from our defence to our mids/ how many times have i said it our u12 game plan get ball boot ball has not changed from 23 season that is what is so disappointing from our coaching staff .,not only last night but all year  nothing has changed . please sack our defensive coach long bomb from FB straight to opposition JOKE 

Reply #148
How important is it to have your VFL side playing into September. There were no proper match practice opportunities to our long list of returning players, a number who would have been able to have a run during the bye.

Also, if there were doubts about TDK over 120 minutes, why not start off with him, see how far he can go, then bring Pitt on when the game has slowed done??
I'd like to think that we were looking to next week with that one.  The plan would have been to keep in contact and restrict scoring and then bring tom on to swing the game not pushing him too hard so we could get him to back up next week.  When we got hammered early that prompted a swing of the deck chairs on the titanic.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #149
Thought Ollie was poor early and a liability, he did better later in the game down back but we need him doing better to hold his place moving forward. He gives effort for sure and is a likeable kid but the wings have become a important position like they were decades ago where teams play through and we need A grade players to match up on the opposition.

Ollie has a decent kick on him and has some toe - needs to play in back half like Max Holmes does.