Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Finals 2024 Carlton vs Brisbane in Brisbane (Read 11075 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Finals 2024 Carlton vs Brisbane in Brisbane

Reply #270
i got a plan harry /charlie play as the dummies ,we go straight to kemp
I'm sure we can miss Kemp just as easily as we miss Harry or Charlie.
"Ruck, ruck, ruck, ruck ....... Ruck, ruck, ruck, ruck"

Reply #271
I'm sure we can miss Kemp just as easily as we miss Harry or Charlie.

Now come on, Spotted One... I think you missed the spirit of Pew2's joke... I got a giggle.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #272
Now come on, Spotted One... I think you missed the spirit of Pew2's joke... I got a giggle.
There are many serious things, children, siblings, family, wealth, health and life, they all sit quietly just behind footy! ;D

Reply #273
Just watched Clarkson previewing our game on YouTube.

Nutshell: to win we'd have to sustain a high level of pressure. That is what would prevent Brisvegas playing their one wood... their high level of uncontested possession... keeping the aggott out of their opponents hands. 100% concur with this. We always look our most dangerous with relentless pressure... hunting.

Like most pundits Clarkson is most concerned with the number of changes we might very well make. He agrees that Doc's inclusion will have a positive effect on team spirit... but... too many changes could very well be too disruptive to continuity. And we may well have the ability to make as many as 8 changes - just crazy (my word).

So... If we settled on no more than 4 changes, who comes in and who goes out?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #274
If we lose, ........... Voss, Hansen, Hamill, Russell and probably Clarke.

Reply #275
Right now, I have faith the MC will pick the side that will give us the best chance of winning and they will have reasons and data to back the selections (that we simply aren't privy to). Of course after the fact (ie hindsight) it wont stop us from professing to have known better.

I have no faith in our MC. That went long ago. It was team selection that contributed to starting our slump picking half fit, out of form players.

Reply #276
Is it crazy making 8 changes to a side that is out of form?

Is it crazy making less than 8 changes if it mwans that you are leaving out more talented people as a result?

The 'making changes' theory is all well and good, but there are an exception. Perhaps in this instance we can't win unless we make 8 changes. Who knows.

Reply #277
Just one thing on Doc and people worried about his fitness.

I'll play devils advocate for a second.

Perhaps he is fitter than anyone else in the side at the moment because....
1. He has done nothing but train and train and train to get ready for this moment.
2. He isn't carrying any niggles like everyone else in the team.
3. He is mentally fitter than anyone else on our list with what he's had to endure in and outside of footy.

If we win this week, i'd argue that next week is the bigger issue with him. Getting up in back to back games when you are probably carrying a niggle into week 2 can see a big drop off in form/output.

For this week, i'd back him in.

Reply #278
He has been called in to fulfill a specific role.......what that role is, is the $1m question!

That's easy!  Take a mark outside 50 in the dying minutes of the game, play on and bomb the ball to the square where Acres can mark and kick the winning goal  :D
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #279
Just watched Clarkson previewing our game on YouTube.

Nutshell: to win we'd have to sustain a high level of pressure. That is what would prevent Brisvegas playing their one wood... their high level of uncontested possession... keeping the aggott out of their opponents hands. 100% concur with this. We always look our most dangerous with relentless pressure... hunting.

Like most pundits Clarkson is most concerned with the number of changes we might very well make. He agrees that Doc's inclusion will have a positive effect on team spirit... but... too many changes could very well be too disruptive to continuity. And we may well have the ability to make as many as 8 changes - just crazy (my word).

Listen to Hoyne, Bris only win 40% of games when the oppo applies pressure greater than 180. Despite our slump, our pressure rating is very high (cant remember the numbers). Apply the pressure and this mob will wilt, nothing surer.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #280
Listen to Hoyne, Bris only win 40% of games when the oppo applies pressure greater than 180. Despite our slump, our pressure rating is very high (cant remember the numbers). Apply the pressure and this mob will wilt, nothing surer.

Pressure rating has been good. Only fell away when we played Hawthorn but ran out of bodies on that one.

Brisbane are a really good ball moving team and need to break even at least at clearances or they will cut as apart.

Reply #281
Pressure rating has been good. Only fell away when we played Hawthorn but ran out of bodies on that one.

Brisbane are a really good ball moving team and need to break even at least at clearances or they will cut as apart.
Part of what Hoyne said:
When you combine your pressure and the opposition's pressure, no one plays in higher pressure matches than what Carleton do this year. So you assume that holds you in good stead for a final series. So 180 is the AFL average for pressure.
They've only done under 180 in a game this year three times. So three out of their 23 matches under 180, which is a significant achievement. Why this number is important. Brisbane have only received a pressure of over 180 on them ten times for the year.
They've got a win rate of 40% when teams apply a pressure rating of over 180. So you would assume Carlton are going to do that this week, given that they have done it 20 out of 23 times this year. You do that, you give yourself the best chance of being in Brisbane.
Pressure wins
Geel 203
NM, Rich 200
WC 198
PA 197
Melb 194
Rich 185
Freo 184
Bris GC 183
Ess 181
NM 179
GWS 172
Just Bring It
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #282
Docherty.

So we know he ruptured his acl.  We also know that he played a quarter with it already ruptured.  He didn't go off right away remember?

Where did it tear?  Was hanging on by a thread?  Fully torn right through the middle?  Higher lower?  Closer further from the knee?   The medicos tend to describe a rupture as a full tear but they wouldn't have known until they operated and may have elected to keep that a bit quiet. 

So knowing this what's the recovery and rehab like? 

So if everything goes perfectly, with no post op complications, it is not unreasonable to have full motion back in the knee after 4 to 8 weeks and to be able to resume running in 12 to 16 weeks.  That's about 4 months.  Doch was playing his first game of the season off a full pre season and to quote him was in great condition when it happened.  These days with prp, and stem cell therapy they can accelerate the healing process and using the skinny side of the above guidance its not unreasonable for him to have been back in strength and conditioning training by the end of July being conservative and allowing for 16 weeks. That means he's spent minimum 4 weeks getting miles  in the legs and testing it out.

Given our teams on field fortunes I'd trust him to be in better nick than almost 10 of the players going out this weekend.   The timing of the injury is important.  Jsos did his before pre season. Docherty after he had already done one.  Was probably in really good nick when it happened and won't have the muscle issues the rest have.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #283
The four players certain to play on Saturday night against the Brisbane Lions are Harry McKay, Mitch McGovern, Zac Williams and Sam Docherty (whose stunning selection was announced on Tuesday), according to club sources who spoke anonymously as team selection was not official.

But key forward Curnow, who aggravated an ankle injury against Hawthorn in round 22, is still in doubt for the elimination final, with the Blues facing a major call on his selection.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #284
Docherty.

So we know he ruptured his acl.  We also know that he played a quarter with it already ruptured.  He didn't go off right away remember?

Where did it tear?  Was hanging on by a thread?  Fully torn right through the middle?  Higher lower?  Closer further from the knee?  The medicos tend to describe a rupture as a full tear but they wouldn't have known until they operated and may have elected to keep that a bit quiet. 

So knowing this what's the recovery and rehab like? 

So if everything goes perfectly, with no post op complications, it is not unreasonable to have full motion back in the knee after 4 to 8 weeks and to be able to resume running in 12 to 16 weeks.  That's about 4 months.  Doch was playing his first game of the season off a full pre season and to quote him was in great condition when it happened.  These days with prp, and stem cell therapy they can accelerate the healing process and using the skinny side of the above guidance its not unreasonable for him to have been back in strength and conditioning training by the end of July being conservative and allowing for 16 weeks. That means he's spent minimum 4 weeks getting miles  in the legs and testing it out.

Given our teams on field fortunes I'd trust him to be in better nick than almost 10 of the players going out this weekend.  The timing of the injury is important.  Jsos did his before pre season. Docherty after he had already done one.  Was probably in really good nick when it happened and won't have the muscle issues the rest have.
If anyone would know about rehab from a knee reco, it will be Doc.  If he thinks he is ready to go, that's good enough for me.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?