Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 23 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs West Coast (Read 4114 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 23 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #60
Kemp has played a lot of VFL footy as a key forward or swingman and I’m pretty sure that he has spent AFL time forward in previous seasons.

There’s an interview with Kemp on the club website where he talks about the conversation with Vossy that led to his focus on defence.  He mentions his versatility and the option of playing as a key forward if the need/opportunity arises.
Dare I say it but is he the "swingman" we have been looking for?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #61
So my preference for this week, is if we are going back to the well, we should avoid the path well trod if possible.

Harry on one leg is better than all of them, and if you can argue to bring back an under done player he or Charlie are the only ones worth entertaining that for.  Even so, they both need to recover because winning this week only gives us 2 weeks.  Given we could lose and still make it if freo lose, then we shouldn't gamble on injured players.

Preferences in order for this week only:

1. Marchbank.  Only player coming back in that hasn't broken down (recently) who has genuine afl level talent.  Trust is the issue.  Will he break down again?  Unsure.  For that reason I have the rest not far behind him and would happily go others ahead of him.

2. Orazio.  Football smarts and team oriented.  Doesn't get it enough but will give 4 quarters.  The problem is reliability.  If he can't give us 4 quarters we are playing him as a sub and gambling we won't make one early.  No thanks.  Move on to 3 subject to that condition.

3. Akuei. He is athletic.  Will run all day.  Can play in the ruck.  Can play in defense.  Can play in offense.  Does none of it particularly well due to lack of football iq.  Could be a one hit wonder and provides the best flexibility out of our options.

4.  Mirkov.  Pittonet is the part of the team we still don't have adequate coverage for until de koning comes back.  I'd rather not ruck cripps or kennedy.  We need one forward and cripps needs to be at the ball drop.  We also need to work out if mirkov is worth persisting with.  So mirkov makes more sense particularly as he brings an awkward height advantage that might allow us to make life difficult by parking him forward.  He is however not a good mark and around the ground player which makes it harder for him to play with pittonet and id rather playhim in a side that has tdk in it.

A distant 5th is Lemmey.  Whilst everyone sees the attraction he is a glacial lump of a lad.  If you parked him at full forward and told him to hit up at the footy twice a quarter and his teamates to honour the lead as a last resort I'd say fair enough but he will get run off all day.  He is a trier but needs some time.  Time to get his body in better condition for afl.  It's not the ability that's his problem its capability at this stage. Can we carry a player who might give us nothing?  We lose more from that level than anyone else.  If pittonet wasn't playing he would be my second to mirkov. 

So for mine one change is durdin out for mirkov. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #62
So my preference for this week, is if we are going back to the well, we should avoid the path well trod if possible.
1. Marchbank.  Only player coming back in that hasn't broken down (recently) who has genuine afl level talent.  Trust is the issue.  Will he break down again?  Unsure.  For that reason I have the rest not far behind him and would happily go others ahead of him.
LOL, not sure I understand:
Came in rnd 4 got injured
Came in rnd 11 got injured
Came in rnd 19 got injured
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #63
Marshall will slaughter Mirkov....couldn't afford 10 minutes a quarter of that duel.
Be a Saints goal fest....
Akuei....not in a mini final like this...

Reply #64

Well it was better than Martin who took Fogarty out with him.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #65
In the first 5 minutes of the game none the less!
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #66
I couldn't care less how Martin, Marchbank, Cunningham et al get injured, I'd rather save the embarrassment and go in 1 man down or with an unproven newby than risk it with any of those. Pick any of them and it will be a disaster, Ive seen that movie a thousand times, I know how it ends.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #67
Did Martin take out fogarty or was it the other way around?

Martin ended up with the ball.

Reply #68
I couldn't care less how Martin, Marchbank, Cunningham et al get injured, I'd rather save the embarrassment and go in 1 man down or with an unproven newby than risk it with any of those. Pick any of them and it will be a disaster, Ive seen that movie a thousand times, I know how it ends.

Leave ‘em in the crystal cabinet. Go with the Pyrex.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #69
marchbank played 84% game time and then got concussion and was subbed out the following week.  Not exactly "injured". 

Paul Hewson

Reply #70
Did Martin take out fogarty or was it the other way around?

Martin ended up with the ball.
No, Martin took out fogarty.  He should have shepherded his opponent out of the contest and let fogarty going with the flight of the ball have it.

No real.blame should be attributed but Martin could have avoided it easier than fogarty.

Paul Hewson

Reply #71
No, Martin took out fogarty.  He should have shepherded his opponent out of the contest and let fogarty going either the flight of the ball have it.

No real.blame should be attributed but Martin could have avoided it easier than fogarty.

I rewatched the incident a few times before i posted before.

Martin had more space on his opponent than Fogarty had on his.
They both came from weird angles to the ball, not simply a going back with the flight of the ball. Martins back was to goal. Fogarty coming across the goal.
Ball was in Martins hands when they collided and Martin maintained possession after the hit.

IF Martin, stopped and called him through, Fogarty would've been tackled immediately as his opponent was right on him.
IF Fogarty, stopped and called him through, Martin had 1.5m on his opponent and was more likely to be clear.

I don't think either of them had enough time to calculate all that and i don't blame either one of them for their attack on the ball.

My whole point is that i don't think either are to blame, but to single out Martin is a bit harsh. If anything i think its 51% Fogarty, 49% Martins fault.

But Fogarty has more 'good vibes' compared to Martin, so people side with him.

Reply #72
Here's a thought experiment for you....

The AFL are outcome based and penalise players who make contact and injure another player.....even if in a normal world it would be considered an 'accident'.

If this was 1 player from each team. Who would the AFL penalise?

It reminds me of the Plowman / O'Meara incident.

Plowman got suspended because he didn't get injured. Even through he went for the ball, and got the ball.

Would the AFL suspend Martin who got to the ball first but potentially saw him coming?
Would the AFL suspend Fogarty because he got to it second and should've tackled?

Reply #73
Live at the game it was Fogarty's ball. No question.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #74
I haven't even seen a replay and have no intention of watching that game ever again.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!