Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 23 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs West Coast (Read 4113 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 23 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #15
In other games this year we couldn't buy a goal, but today. Some lovely snaps, but Moir's! What can you say?
We may well have ended Collingwood's season today. I didn't expect that either.
Could Moir be one of those players who plays better in the 1s than in the 2s?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #16
I was negative Nelly and didn't think we could win with all the changes. Obviously please with the result, Ol' Mate 3 Votes carried his team on back yet again, he was Mighty today along with George, Weiters and Pitto.
Nothing like a bit of fit fresh youth rather than half fit, cooked stars. If it have been done earlier then you never know as that was brilliant today.

Between a fitness bloke and a MC they could have cost us big time this year.

Reply #18
In other games this year we couldn't buy a goal, but today. Some lovely snaps, but Moir's! What can you say?
We may well have ended Collingwood's season today. I didn't expect that either.
We have unless the Pies beat the Dee's by around triple figures or more.

Reply #19
We can still finish top 4 with a couple on minor miracle but best to focus on the 8 first.

Reply #20
Cowan & Cincotta ...... take a bow, they set the tone for the others to follow, if you want desperation & a fighting spirit, just look in their direction.

Binns was not great early but after half-time seemed to adjust to the tempo, he'll be good in the future, just needs a little bit more meat on his small frame.

Lord looked like he is ready now and has a little bit of mongrel in him and I like that quality.

Moir looked like he was pumped to be getting on the ground, clearly he has some serious talent and given Durdin's sholder injury should be in the run on team next week, freakish debut goal too.

I liked the fact that Lemmey was sitting in with the forwards at half-time being a part of the forwards coach's discussion.

Best game I've seen from Pittonet, I still don't want him at the club but I have to acknowledge when a player excels.

Even though Kemp had a ripper game up forward, he needs to say in defence. How was that mark in front he shared with McGovern yet the umpire called for a ball-up ........... appalling umpiring on so many levels.

That was the best game I've seen from Durdin too, still shouldn't save him from trade speculation though.

Cripps had the ball on a string and was sensational whilst Walsh kept trying to do too much and got caught.

Owies had another good game and drove his trade price up but Motlop annoyed me immensely by getting caught so often, he has the talent but lacks the grey matter (something I have already said once before).

I was not impressed with Acres, he made some utterly stupid decisions which cost us each time, the worst being to hold up play and wave his hands around and then when he did kick it the ball landed on an Eagles player's chest with no-one within 10-metres of him. For a player of his experience, these blunders were unacceptable, especially when he juggled the ball around the goalpost only to kick it down Ryan's throat which ended up in an opposition goal.

Newman & Young were strong in defence whilst Weitering was impassable, played a blinder.

Ollie Hollands ran all day and tackled like his life depended on it.

Seeing three Blues players tackle Waterman nearly brought a tear to my eyes.

Jack Carroll showed why I strongly believe he must be retained, he is a terrific little player and will only get better.  

Elijah Hollands did some great stuff but let a lot of it down with some sloppy disposal on his left foot, he's been a terrific pick-up but must learn to play the percentages more.

There was plenty to like tonight but the job is not done yet, next week's game against the Saints will be a much harder affair than what the somewhat featherweight Eagles offered up.

Tonight's win does not erase the woeful efforts we have put out over the past 6-weeks but it does give us a glimmer of hope for a finals berth which looked like it was about to be completely extinguished.

Our players must take that same attack on the contest on to the field with them every week forever, even if they lose at least us as supporters know they gave everything they had and were just beaten by a better team on the day.    
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #21
I think Motlop's issue is a lack of pace.  Durdin ain't fast either but he busted a nut running, played that forward 50 distributor role well today.

Just a cameo from Moir but yep, pack up ya locker Jack.  Going to be a decent size when he fills out.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #22
@prof, durdin is actually very fast.

Motlop is a good goal sneak, but he has no weapons and is very inconsistent.

Really happy to get the win today, but I reckon the Eagles would be happy we won to prevent freo making finals if possible.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #23
Has a lot of Izak Rankine about him.  We can only hope.....

Apart from the brilliant snap goal, the strength of hands on the lead was superb.  Give him another pre-season, and watch out.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #24
I enjoyed being at the game as you see who is running at half pace who is not making position etc things the TV doesn’t show. Was impressed by the over all effort put in today every player kept running chasing and competing for every contest. Thought that Binns was very good in that he did not stop running to help spoil or fill a hole or make a position to kick to. Carroll was the same also thought Lord showed something. I was impressed by Moir when he came on he lead at the right time dropped back at the right time and had nice hands to mark under pressure on the lead.
Caught the train back from the game with Eagle supporters they didn’t seemed surprised by the result just resigned to where their team is at. It’s a feeling I remember well for a lot of the last 20 years. Having Flagmantle as the paper over here was calling them at one stage miss out was a bit of a laugh for them.

Reply #25
The only thing wrong with the move of Kemp to the forward line was that it took so long to try it.

The surprising thing was that some folks found it 'surprising'.

Everything about his draft profile suggested that he was a player who could play forward or back...maybe even some time as a midfielder.
His versatility was a strength.

He kicked 4, probably should have kicked 5.

Yes, it was only an abysmal, dreadful West Coast side, but he was our key target.
How would he go as our third medium, tall player with the ability to move into defence if needed.
He's a strong mark and he's durable.
Hopefully he showed enough to not be pigeon-holed in future.

Luckiest player on the field yesterday was Harley Reid.
He had some cameos, but more importantly for his development.... he got to see what an elite midfielder, the best of the best, plays like. :D

Reply #26
The only thing wrong with the move of Kemp to the forward line was that it took so long to try it.

The surprising thing was that some folks found it 'surprising'.

Everything about his draft profile suggested that he was a player who could play forward or back...maybe even some time as a midfielder.
His versatility was a strength.

He kicked 4, probably should have kicked 5.

Yes, it was only an abysmal, dreadful West Coast side, but he was our key target.
How would he go as our third medium, tall player with the ability to move into defence if needed.
He's a strong mark and he's durable.
Hopefully he showed enough to not be pigeon-holed in future.

Luckiest player on the field yesterday was Harley Reid.
He had some cameos, but more importantly for his development.... he got to see what an elite midfielder, the best of the best, plays like. :D

Nice, Principal LODS.

Likewise, I've always thought Kempy was a forward who can play back, not the other way 'round. As a third tall, he's perfect... and what a headache for opposition defenses (when H & Charles are there as well). Plus, his defensive game up forward is a real bonus.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #27

Absolutely. He is your genuine X factor type. What I really loved about his goal was his presence of mind to do what he did. Didn't try to grab it, knew his environment was too tight for that. That's a footy brain.

Reply #28
Some bagging Binns, but watching the replay he worked as hard as any out there, and it's a bit silly saying he's not getting enough footy when you see him time after time follow up a disposal with hard running off his opponent but we don't give him the footy. He's a reasonable kick, ran as hard as Walsh, but we largely ignored him.

Maybe they have had him playing a "Billy Brownless Decoy" role, because the burn from his team-mates is otherwise unexplained.

Great game from Ollie, possibly his best, ............... the new "occasional" Simmo?

Some bagging EH and OH for waxing, but they showed the advantage of knowing each others game is invaluable, they looked like they had been side by side in D50 for 100 games. EH kicking out from behinds is a great additional option for McGovern or Weiters, let's them get up the ground easier.

Some might be rightly prompted to ask, where have some of these tactics been all season, why did it take the crisis for them to emerge?
"Ruck, ruck, ruck, ruck ....... Ruck, ruck, ruck, ruck"

Reply #29
We can still finish top 4 with a couple on minor miracle but best to focus on the 8 first.

And I thought I was the stubborn optimist!