Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 23 2024 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs West Coast in Perth (Read 9730 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 23 2024 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs West Coast in Perth

Reply #30
Looks like they are going to have to elevate Lemmey to the seniors with both McKay & Curnow out now.

May as well chuck in a couple of the other young guys too and see who cuts it in the big league, we have nothing lose now. 
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #31
For me... the expectation for a strength and conditioning person is to determine why these injuries are occurring and tailoring programs for the prevention of/ and recovery from them.
There's not a lot you can do about impact injuries.
Recurring soft tissue injuries and poor recovery leading to repeat injuries is another issue.

So it then goes to the specifics of his departure.

If he was pushed, the club was obvioulsy not happy with his work.
If he's walked away frustrated that his recommendations aren't being followed that's a different story...one we may never know.

Just doesn't make sense that a bloke heading high performance at 3 clubs, and does brilliantly, suddenly loses all his skills at club 4. It just aint logical. Is Cookie getting it wrong at PP after doing so well at other places? Nuh.

This also has a sniff of coaches about it. Seems that as soon as it comes to on-field stuff things just start going pear shaped. Time for a top-line Head of Football? Someone smarter, more disciplined with some fire in the guts?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #32
Supporters who are calling for Vossy's head have got it all wrong, IMHO. We should be getting in behind him. Is he putting too much faith in some around him, including some players? My only hope is that behind closed doors Vossy is breathing fire at those letting him down. I know it's a balancing act... berate or coddle? Times have changed. But this is still a very physical, gladiatorial sport and there are times to breathe fire.

We'll have a depleted side this Sunday. Reality. Our forward line will very likely look very different (please, please no Young up forward. Down back to help Weiters? Yes. And give Weiters more license to roam and exert his authority and leadership down back. Give Kemp a gig up forward).

Reply #33
Supporters who are calling for Vossy's head have got it all wrong, IMHO. We should be getting in behind him. Is he putting too much faith in some around him, including some players? My only hope is that behind closed doors Vossy is breathing fire at those letting him down. I know it's a balancing act... berate or coddle? Times have changed. But this is still a very physical, gladiatorial sport and there are times to breathe fire.

We'll have a depleted side this Sunday. Reality. Our forward line will very likely look very different (please, please no Young up forward. Down back to help Weiters? Yes. And give Weiters more license to roam and exert his authority and leadership down back. Give Kemp a gig up forward).
Injuries and poor player effort have let Voss down recently and while Id like to see him become a bit more daring with his moves its not his fault we have capitulated at seasons end again and the last thing we need is another sacked coach saga.
This is a list management issue along with some doubts over the S&C crew but Im more inclined to be pointing the finger at the former..

Reply #34
Vossy is not perfect, but he is good enough and should not even be part of the discussion.

If you want to blame Russell, you might have a case.

However, why is nobody mentioning the club doctors? Surely they are the one who gives them a tick of approval for us to play and/or continue playing these 'injured' players.

I've been saying it for weeks. We should be resting players who are not right. We should've been resting them when we were in 2nd. Aonyne who had a niggle. Rest them and get them right for finals time.
But no.

Now we are here, with no one fit enough.

I suspect we've rushed back Williams, so expect him to be injured this week as a result.

Reply #35
Still not convinced there isn't a problem in the S&C area
Completely. Can only keep getting injured repeated for so long before it takes its  toll. This is how many years now this has happened and we have crashed and burned with 5 weeks to go. Can't be another issue given we were 2nd 6 weeks ago. We've gone from crushing sides in last qtrs to barely being able to go for a qtr. One guess of the root of the problem. As a coach myself I can attest. Same in any sport.

Reply #36
While finals are still mathematically possible, a team like the Hawks deserves that spot way more than we do...simple as that. With 6 players likely to be missing from last weekend, there's not much left to choose from so lets have a look at Moir, Lemmey, Binns, Wilson, Carroll.....even Mirkov. He couldn't be any worse than Pittonet's been in the last month.
Why do the Hawks deserve it more?  We are equal on points and had a much harder run than they have.

Don't let the last 6 games cloud your thinking.  They coughed up an 11 point lead in the last 30 seconds away to port 10 weeks ago when we put them to the sword.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #37
Hawks play the bottom two teams. We're not catching them even if we do win our last 2 games which I doubt we will.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #38
Hawks play the bottom two teams. We're not catching them even if we do win our last 2 games which I doubt we will.
freo can still fall out.  They lose one game we win two and we are in.  They play gws away and Port at home.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #39
No TDK no Carlton.

He is the lyncjpin in the score from turn over game due to his flexibility and forcing opponents to find other routes as he is a good mark and good at ground ball gets. Hudson Okeefe is an excellent prospect and put him in front of Mirkov and Pitto.

Reply #40
Injuries and poor player effort have let Voss down recently and while Id like to see him become a bit more daring with his moves its not his fault we have capitulated at seasons end again and the last thing we need is another sacked coach saga.
This is a list management issue along with some doubts over the S&C crew but Im more inclined to be pointing the finger at the former..

Absolutely.

Vossy addressed this in his impressive post game media conference... that before he arrived we were inconsistent and we still are - in game, week to week, month to month and year to year. An ingrained cultural issue? I see that as an inability to sustain, regardless of what the opposition is dishing up, and that's about mental discipline/toughness and trust in your team mates which builds cohesion/predictability. But it's real hard to develop these things when we have so many on our list whose bodies cannot even be trusted to stand up to the rigors of our game.

Reply #41
freo can still fall out.  They lose one game we win two and we are in.  They play gws away and Port at home.

I expect Freo to lose to the Giants, think West Coast will finish us off this week though.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #42
Just doesn't make sense that a bloke heading high performance at 3 clubs, and does brilliantly, suddenly loses all his skills at club 4. It just aint logical. Is Cookie getting it wrong at PP after doing so well at other places? Nuh.

This also has a sniff of coaches about it. Seems that as soon as it comes to on-field stuff things just start going pear shaped. Time for a top-line Head of Football? Someone smarter, more disciplined with some fire in the guts?

6 years of massive injuries is enough to give us a fair idea.

Reply #43
If we could somehow get into the 8 it would be a nice experience for the kids to play a final, even if they get thumped. Can only help. A refresh of a side can do wonders for a couple of games, especially against sides with nothing to play for.

You never know.. Be a big step up for a few.

Reply #44
6 years of massive injuries is enough to give us a fair idea.
Maybe it has something to do with how we evaluate players before we recruit them? What criteria are used re player durability ? It’s very hard to make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear so to speak.
Reality always wins in the end.