Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 22 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 6560 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 22 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #105
Thinking about the game again, watch the opening minute and you will see what's wrong with the team.
First centre bounce, ball hits the deck, Pitto becomes useless, Meek picks it up, runs away and kicks it fwd, our slow mids trailing  the Hawthorn players. IIRC, Newman leaves his man unnecessarily, loose players everywhere in the fwd line and the opening goal ensues.
Our defence has been terrible for weeks and again nothing is corrected, not even at the opening bounce of a do or die game. If you ask my household (or my neighbours) about my opening play comments and level they were delivered at and I knew how our day was going to pan out (even if we didn't get any injuries). Defences win premierships, ours has cost us an opportunity at one.
Leigh Montagna has been very critical of our defense and the ease of which Hawthorn penetrated and lack of effort on our behalf.

Reply #106
Coaches' votes. I post this for completeness only. Just caps off a pretty sorry day.

9 Dylan Moore (HAW)
9 Massimo D'Ambrosio (HAW)
6 James Sicily (HAW)
4 Joshua Weddle (HAW)
2 Jarman Impey (HAW)

Reply #107
Leigh Montagna has been very critical of our defense and the ease of which Hawthorn penetrated and lack of effort on our behalf.
Many experts have pointed it out and reckon its an easy fix. Yeah right.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #108
Many experts have pointed it out and reckon its an easy fix. Yeah right.

On two occasions they had 3 players running into an open goal. The game was still on then and that was like giving up.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #109
How do we nab players like Massimo for FA....? .   When we were Megabad we had to pay way overs for half baked crap.  Thirty years of bad and the whorks are down for all of three seconds. 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #110
Massimo smashed us in a VFL game, Bombers didn't rate him.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #111
I was listening to most of it on ABC.  Interesting that Harford and Murphy were talking about our lack of cohesion coming out of defence and we were making things up to get the ball out.  It has been like that for some time as others have also commented.

It is this cohesion that we have lacked - we are great when we have the cohesion, but when it is missing we look ordinary and struggle a lot.  So many things haven't ultimately worked this season.

I also think that we (the fans, media and maybe the club) massively inflated our win over Tigers (hindsight is wonderful).  Tigers have been obviously pretty ordinary, so shouldn't hold a great deal of weight and maybe cracks were overlooked.

I can cross September footy out of the diary now!

Reply #112
I was listening to most of it on ABC.  Interesting that Harford and Murphy were talking about our lack of cohesion coming out of defence and we were making things up to get the ball out.  It has been like that for some time as others have also commented.

It is this cohesion that we have lacked - we are great when we have the cohesion, but when it is missing we look ordinary and struggle a lot.  So many things haven't ultimately worked this season.

I also think that we (the fans, media and maybe the club) massively inflated our win over Tigers (hindsight is wonderful).  Tigers have been obviously pretty ordinary, so shouldn't hold a great deal of weight and maybe cracks were overlooked.

I can cross September footy out of the diary now!

I think its worth pointing out that our best kickers from defence are....
Docherty - obviously not playing.
Saad - got injured
Boyd - got injured
McGovern - got injured

So kicking out of defence was left too.....
Newman - solid kick, can get up and under
Kemp - hit and miss....literally.
Weitering - excellent kick, but you don't want him carrying the ball out, you want him defending
Cowan - not great
Cincotta - not great, also got injured
Ollie Hollands - ok, not great.

We were too timid with our kicks coming out of defence because we didn't have anyone left who could be bold and take the game on.

So yes, they are right, but if you look at the 'why' its actually to be expected.

Reply #113
Don't care about the second half.

They mentioned this during the first half a couple of times.

Reply #114
We need blokes like H and Charlie to wear ultra-stretchy jumpers, sure opponents can grab them easier but it sticks out like dog's ballz to the umpire!

The skin tight kit shizen is wrong thinking, it's a generalisation, suits some positions and players, is exactly wrong for others!

Gotta love some cognition lateralis 👍
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #115
When all is said and done (the title of Neale Daniher's excellent autobiography btw),  it is going to be another failed season and I have had enough as I'm sure you all have as well.
It's just bloody hard to be positive at this point. So important that we compete hard in the last 2 games and hopefully win them.
Green shoots anyone?

Reply #116
From a couple of things I've been reading apparently Russell exponentially increased training loads over the last 6 weeks in preparation for finals.

Is 2nd hand info though.

Reply #117
Building connection and cohesion between the lines over a period of time is the hard work - I believe it is there but this amount of unavailability is hurting the cohesion. Hawks looked in control because they put the same talent on the park every week and built cohesion. Hawks have six player on injury list where five are not first team players. We will only win big games with a healthy list that grind a result together over a number of consecutive matches. This has been very challenging year for the club.

Reply #118
From a couple of things I've been reading apparently Russell exponentially increased training loads over the last 6 weeks in preparation for finals.

Is 2nd hand info though.
I think a couple of us suggested that and he broke us as a result

Reply #119

Is 2nd hand info though.

We are going to get a lot of these rumours.

From a 2nd party was told a busted up between Russell and Voss ended with Russell resigning.

"Essentially Voss pulled rank on a few injury calls with some of their senior players. Russell's response was "if you aren't listening to my advice, my role is pointless."

Full football department review upcoming"