Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 21 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 5603 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 21 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #91
I mentioned in game that our forward entries were poor and we were not kicking well to our forwards.

Looking a little bit deeper at that.
Overall, we won inside 50's - 58 - 51
Overall, we had more scoring shots (inc rushed) - 26 - 24

I broke down inside 50's per quarter.
I broke down scores per quarter
I broke down scoring shots per inside per quarter.

Carlton
Q# - G.B. - I50's - scoring / inside 50.
Q1 - 1.8 - 16 - 44%
Q2 - 2.3 -  9 - 56%
Q3 - 3.3 -  9 - 67%
Q4 - 5.1 - 24 - 25%
Tot -11.15 - 58 - 45%

Collingwood
Q1 - 2.2 - 11 - 36%
Q2 - 4.4 - 15 - 53%
Q3 - 5.3 - 17 - 47%
Q4 - 1.3 -  8 - 50%
Tot -12.12 - 51 - 47%

What is shows is that we were actually very good at hitting the scoreboard for most of the game based on the amount of inside 50's we were getting.
Very efficient for 3/4's.
Also very inaccurate too.
However, despite dominating the last quarter with the most inside 50's and the most goals (for us) during that time. We REALLY struggled to convert it on the scoreboard.
To be on a par with the other 3/4's, (and collingwood) we should've had an extra 6 scoring shots in the last based on those inside 50's. Probably 5 more considering the last one didn't count (thanks gov).
If we did get the average conversion from inside 50's, thats the game, even if we missed them all!

Of course, this 4th quarter struggle to hit the scoreboard happened to coincide with Charlie being off the ground for 10 minutes.

Of course, we were also very inaccurate in front of goal early and could've put it beyond doubt well before the last quarter, but thats just another layer of the same slice of cake.

That is....
Our forwardline is not functioning correctly and we need to be smarter with our entries

Reply #92
I mentioned in game that our forward entries were poor and we were not kicking well to our forwards.

Looking a little bit deeper at that.
Overall, we won inside 50's - 58 - 51
Overall, we had more scoring shots (inc rushed) - 26 - 24

I broke down inside 50's per quarter.
I broke down scores per quarter
I broke down scoring shots per inside per quarter.

Carlton
Q1 - 1.8 - 16 - 44%
Q2 - 2.3 -  9 - 56%
Q3 - 3.3 -  9 - 67%
Q4 - 5.1 - 24 - 25%
Tot -11.15 - 58 - 45%

Collingwood
Q1 - 2.2 - 11 - 36%
Q2 - 4.4 - 15 - 53%
Q3 - 5.3 - 17 - 47%
Q4 - 1.3 -  8 - 50%
Tot -12.12 - 51 - 47%

What is shows is that we were actually very good at hitting the scoreboard for most of the game based on the amount of inside 50's we were getting.
Very efficient for 3/4's.
Also very inaccurate too.
However, despite dominating the last quarter with the most inside 50's and the most goals (for us) during that time. We REALLY struggled to convert it on the scoreboard.
To be on a par with the other 3/4's, (and collingwood) we should've had an extra 6 scoring shots in the last based on those inside 50's. Probably 5 more considering the last one didn't count (thanks gov).
If we did get the average conversion from inside 50's, thats the game, even if we missed them all!

Of course, this 4th quarter struggle to hit the scoreboard happened to coincide with Charlie being off the ground for 10 minutes.

Of course, we were also very inaccurate in front of goal early and could've put it beyond doubt well before the last quarter, but thats just another layer of the same slice of cake.

That is....
Our forwardline is not functioning correctly and we need to be smarter with our entries
here ends the statistical lesson.

By my count we scored better and more efficiently from shots taken in the final quarter. 

Earlier we were wasteful when you said we were efficient.  Particularly for proper set shots inside 50.

Stats lie.  My eyes don't. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #93
here ends the statistical lesson.

By my count we scored better and more efficiently from shots taken in the final quarter. 

Earlier we were wasteful when you said we were efficient.  Particularly for proper set shots inside 50.

Stats lie.  My eyes don't.
....and opinions are not wrong?

Some peoples opinions have changed from last night on a rewatch of the game. I suggest you do the same.

I already said that we were inaccurate in front of goal.

There is a difference between being accurate and being efficient.

Last quarter we were accurate.
1st quarter we were not.

Last quarter we were not efficient.
1st quarter we were.

Reply #94
....and opinions are not wrong?

Some peoples opinions have changed from last night on a rewatch of the game. I suggest you do the same.

I already said that we were inaccurate in front of goal.

There is a difference between being accurate and being efficient.

Last quarter we were accurate.
1st quarter we were not.

Last quarter we were not efficient.
1st quarter we were.

No this is a classic case of using stats to show efficiency from inside 50 entries.  That is conversion to scoring correct?

Yet, I'm talking about something different (but more important).  Taking your actual chances when you create them and get a mark in front or even on a slight angle, and im not talking about stuff like cripps 55 metre effort from the boundary, or Charlie trying to kick it from 60 at the mcc members stand.  I'm talking about Jessie 30 out directly in front.  Harry on a slight angle 45 metres out, hollands, 40 metres out, owies not making the distance from 45 directly in front. 

We needed the repeat entries to create the scoring opportunities and were forcing it in to keep it in and score.

Paul Hewson

Reply #95
No this is a classic case of using stats to show efficiency from inside 50 entries.  That is conversion to scoring correct?

Yet, I'm talking about something different (but more important).  Taking your actual chances when you create them and get a mark in front or even on a slight angle, and im not talking about stuff like cripps 55 metre effort from the boundary, or Charlie trying to kick it from 60 at the mcc members stand.  I'm talking about Jessie 30 out directly in front.  Harry on a slight angle 45 metres out, hollands, 40 metres out, owies not making the distance from 45 directly in front. 

We needed the repeat entries to create the scoring opportunities and were forcing it in to keep it in and score.

So your issues with my stats, are not with my stats, they are that you think there are other issues. Which i've never said there weren't.

What i'm showing you stats wise, is simply data. Its up to you/us to interpret it and ask why and what does it mean.

Part of the problem of not turning shots into scores can be as simple as putting it in the wrong spots or giving it to the wrong people......or simply kicking it directly to the opposition.

There is no point getting an inside 50 if its to a bloke on the boundary, 45m out who won't make the distance.
There is no point getting an inside 50 if its to a 3 on 1 and the opposition clear it straight after.
There is no point getting an inside 50 if its directly to the opposition.

If you want to make the most of your opportunities, then get better opportunities.

Reply #96
Without Zac Williams flair, unpredictability and goal kicking ability our forward line is showing itself to be mediocre at best and will continue to be that way until he returns.

Reply #97
The cream has risen and we have curdled ☹️

Reply #98
I've been in Newmans position before and given away a free kick for the same thing.

The bloke who got a free kick for it against me was actually an old school mate.
We talked about it afterwards.

He essentially falls backwards into me, deliberately, and instinct makes you try and catch them. They keep pushing back into you and your instinct is to hold them otherwise they will fall into you and your legs, potentially causing injury.

Its smart play if you get a free kick out of it.

Next time someone tries that, you simply side step them and let them fall and they look like a goose.
It should only work once.

Will this work if your opponent is 211cm and has 30 cm on you?

Reply #99
Not sure if its been mentioned or not, but i wouldn't be surprised if McGovern misses next week with concussion.

He copped a knee/shin to the back of the head, you can see the collingwood bloke holding his leg in pain.
He took a long time to take his shot and spent a lot of time rubbing and shaking his head.
Obviously, his kick was terrible.

Reminded me of when Robbie Warnock did similarly against Geelong many years ago after getting punched in the head. IIRC he missed everything too, or at least barely got a point. He was talked about as being soft on the night. Ended up spending the night in hospital.

That's what I thought as well. Could of played dazed and given the kick to someone else. Maybe he wanted to be the hero and kick the winning goal as he did for Adelaide a few years ago. Not sure who the kick could of gone to but it may of been a lot closer to scoring than the howler that it was.

Reply #100
That's what I thought as well. Could of played dazed and given the kick to someone else. Maybe he wanted to be the hero and kick the winning goal as he did for Adelaide a few years ago. Not sure who the kick could of gone to but it may of been a lot closer to scoring than the howler that it was.

Honestly, Gov is probably the best option to take the kick.
Not sure if you've ever watched him in warm ups but he casually launches 70m torpedos without breaking a sweat.
He kicked 60m drop punts for fun.

He never looked confident and never looked 'there' to me.
I can't recall who else was around, but someone else said Harry, and for some reason i think Martin may have been there as well.

I guess we'll know more during the week.

Reply #101
Watched the McGovern kick after the siren, FMD could not have kicked it any worse if he tried.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #102
My mate reckons it was Martin. He could have kicked it.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #104
So your issues with my stats, are not with my stats, they are that you think there are other issues. Which i've never said there weren't.

What i'm showing you stats wise, is simply data. Its up to you/us to interpret it and ask why and what does it mean.

Part of the problem of not turning shots into scores can be as simple as putting it in the wrong spots or giving it to the wrong people......or simply kicking it directly to the opposition.

There is no point getting an inside 50 if its to a bloke on the boundary, 45m out who won't make the distance.
There is no point getting an inside 50 if its to a 3 on 1 and the opposition clear it straight after.
There is no point getting an inside 50 if its directly to the opposition.

If you want to make the most of your opportunities, then get better opportunities.
your stats are fine their value is bogus.

Those repeat efforts build pressure to create the opportunities you do score from.

Being better at it is one facet, but the value of converting good opportunities outweighs whatever your stats were trying to convey.

Paul Hewson