Skip to main content
Topic: Paris Olympics - swipes, gripes, controversies and triumphs (Read 2829 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from Opals and Boomers at ...

Paris Olympics - swipes, gripes, controversies and triumphs

Basketball shouldn't be an Olympic sport anyway.

Over the years too many glory towners have joined.

Soccer, tennis, golf.  No one gives a crap about an Olympic medal in these sports.  It's not the pinnacle and it's just more games for everyone to play.

It's a deadset pisstake.  If the Olympics isn't at the pinnacle of the sport you compete in, that sport shouldn't be played there IMHO.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Re: Paris Olympics - swipes, gripes, controversies and triumphs

Reply #1
Basketball shouldn't be an Olympic sport anyway.

Over the years too many glory towners have joined.

Soccer, tennis, golf.  No one gives a crap about an Olympic medal in these sports.  It's not the pinnacle and it's just more games for everyone to play.

It's a deadset pisstake.  If the Olympics isn't at the pinnacle of the sport you compete in, that sport shouldn't be played there IMHO.

I lost interest in the Olympics decades ago.
I only just found out that bmx and breakdancing are now an Olympic sport (or at least are exhibition sports)
When the hell did that happen?

Whatever happened to "higher faster stronger"?

Reply #2
I like the idea of breakfasting as an Olympic sport - is it judged or raced?  Fastest to make and eat quinoa porridge and not throw up?
Another victim of autocorrect.  :-[

BreakDANCING is now an olympic sport.

Breakfasting is probably easier to officiate and less subjective to breakdancing!

Reply #3
Doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in the Olympics in general this time around
I was going to start a separate thread as there are a few controversial things getting a bit of attention. (super swims??? and Boxing shenanigans)
And with the main event kicking off now (Athletics) ;)  :D...
Do we need to do that or just let this become a more generic thread?
Is there the interest?
Problem may be that most of the  posts have been about basketball so I'll leave it to DJC (as the thread starter) to decide whether we need a separate thread for other Olympic topics.

Reply #4
Doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in the Olympics in general this time around
I was going to start a separate thread as there are a few controversial things getting a bit of attention. (super swims??? and Boxing shenanigans)
Is there the interest?
Problem may be that most of the  posts have been about basketball so I'll leave it to DJC (as the thread starter) to decide whether we need a separate thread for other Olympic topics.

I can't wait until it's finished.  I have never been so disinterested in an Olympics. 

Not even sure why, just couldn't get into it.

A woman getting knocked out by a not so female woman is just yet another background story here.

Paul Hewson

Reply #5
I can't wait until it's finished.  I have never been so disinterested in an Olympics. 

Not even sure why, just couldn't get into it.

A woman getting knocked out by a not so female woman is just yet another background story here.

Yep.

Somehow i managed to not even know when the olympics were scheduled to start.
Only way i found out was when my social media feeds were flooded with opening ceremony comments....then i twigged, oh i guess the olympics are starting now.

Use to love it as a kid.
Use to follow it in my teens.
Use to keep an eye on it in adult life.
Haven't watched a single second of it this year.

Reply #6
Is there the interest?

The basketball tragics would like a separate thread  :)

There's plenty going on at the Olympics though; triathlon postponed because of too much dog sh1t in the Seine, China picking on Kyle Chalmers, boxing controversy, Jessica Fox, the commentator sacked for "sexist" language, huge waves in Teahupo’o, the removal of the Australian surfing judge, new "sports", the laid back Turkish pistol shooter, and much more.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #7

This one is definitely controversial but it may not be as straight foward as it seems.

From what I've read so far, it is a case of a female athlete possessing an XY chromosome (which is a maker for a male) but for all other purposes this person has lived their life as a female with basically female anatomy.
She hasn't transitioned.
That may change as more information is known.

Now going to the sports psychology of the incident.
If you go into a contest believing that your opponent has an unfair advantage it would mess with your head.
You're as good as beaten.
Early aspects of the fight may have reinforced that idea in the Italian fighter's head.
"She punched harder than I've ever been punched before"...that may have been real.
Or it may have been an impression, justifying the already pre-conceived idea that this was an opponent with advantages 'above and beyond'.
I sympathise with Carini because for her it is 'real' and she is distraught that after years of training she couldn't continue... that's one of the complexities of competition at this level

That's speculative, it's a what might have happened.
I think we need to know more before we make a judgement.

Reply #8
This one is definitely controversial but it may not be as straight foward as it seems.

From what I've read so far, it is a case of a female athlete possessing an XY chromosome (which is a maker for a male) but for all other purposes this person has lived their life as a female with basically female anatomy.
She hasn't transitioned.

If you go into a contest believing that your opponent has an unfair advantage it would mess with your head.
Early aspects of the fight may have reinforced that idea in the Italian fighter's head.
"She punched harder than I've ever been punched before"...that may have been real.
Or it may have been an impression, justifying the already pre-conceived idea that this was an opponent with advantages 'above and beyond'.
I sympathise with Carini because for her it is 'real' and she is distraught that after years of training she couldn't continue... that's one of the complexities of competition at this level

Apparently, the claim that Khelif has XY chromosomes is bogus.  What's more, she has lost several fights to other women and that's unlikely if she genuinely has male attributes.

Perhaps Carini was simply nailed with a good punch in a fair fight.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #9
I haven't heard the XY  thing is bogus. I have read it is in some cases irrelevant, to the point some XY's can even give birth, and there are varying degrees of XX & XY combinations.

Carini has apologised for her initial reaction and comments and accepted the result. Whether that's from pressure or a genuine acceptance is an unknown..

Reply #10
I had no idea that so many on social media are chromosome and gender experts. I guess it's not surprising, because they are also inflation experts, infectious disease experts, foreign policy experts, French performance art experts, military experts, political experts......

Reply #11
If it's irrelevant compete in the men's division then.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #12

She hasn't transitioned.

Sorry I just don't care.

This is where the world is going.

One body banned them.  One says they followed a flawed process to do so.

The record is 41 and 9 against female athletes and has been to an Olympics before.  Who knows for sure but I'd be concerned talking to either of them in a night club. 

Paul Hewson

Reply #14
I had no idea that so many on social media are chromosome and gender experts. I guess it's not surprising, because they are also inflation experts, infectious disease experts, foreign policy experts, French performance art experts, military experts, political experts......

I'm certainly not claiming to be an expert....In fact the opposite. The initial reaction to this from many  was "it's  a man beating up a woman". Five minutes of looking a bit deeper and the situation is much more complicated and folks with a lot more information and expertise in this area than any of us have decided it all sits within the rules.