Skip to main content
Topic: Paris Olympics - swipes, gripes, controversies and triumphs (Read 2830 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from Opals and Boomers at ...

Re: Paris Olympics - swipes, gripes, controversies and triumphs

Reply #30
Cricket. 

The good old bouncer hey. Deliberately throwing a hard ball at someone's head for no apparent reason then act shocked when someone dies after being struck.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #31
The good old bouncer hey. Deliberately throwing a hard ball at someone's head for no apparent reason then act shocked when someone dies after being struck.

You could probably mount an argument to say that the bouncer should be outlawed in all forms of cricket. I'd say it would be semi convincing at best. But I'm not sure it's quite the same thing. Taking cricket as a sport overall, and taking boxing / MMA as sports overall, they are miles apart, and that's being charitable.

Reply #32

Thats why they invented helmets.

FWIW, if you want to get someone off their game, just include the threat of copping a hard ball to the head.
Works wonders for the psychology of the bowler.
Was more useful before they invented helmets though.

Reply #33
This one is definitely controversial but it may not be as straight foward as it seems.

From what I've read so far, it is a case of a female athlete possessing an XY chromosome (which is a maker for a male) but for all other purposes this person has lived their life as a female with basically female anatomy.
She hasn't transitioned.
That may change as more information is known.

Now going to the sports psychology of the incident.
If you go into a contest believing that your opponent has an unfair advantage it would mess with your head.
You're as good as beaten.
Early aspects of the fight may have reinforced that idea in the Italian fighter's head.
"She punched harder than I've ever been punched before"...that may have been real.
Or it may have been an impression, justifying the already pre-conceived idea that this was an opponent with advantages 'above and beyond'.
I sympathise with Carini because for her it is 'real' and she is distraught that after years of training she couldn't continue... that's one of the complexities of competition at this level

That's speculative, it's a what might have happened.
I think we need to know more before we make a judgement.

Apologies, I have yet to read the full thread but you are correct according to Snopes.

https://www.snopes.com/news/2024/08/02/imane-khelif-olympics-boxing/

Let’s go BIG !

Reply #34
Apologies, I have yet to read the full thread but you are correct according to Snopes.

https://www.snopes.com/news/2024/08/02/imane-khelif-olympics-boxing/

Yes, I read that article earlier today, and IMO it does a good job of summarizing the issues. It's a shame that yet again, innocent people get targeted by a hateful campaign of misinformation. And influencers like Rowling and Musk just make an already poor situation worse.

Reply #35
Yes, I read that article earlier today, and IMO it does a good job of summarizing the issues. It's a shame that yet again, innocent people get targeted by a hateful campaign of misinformation. And influencers like Rowling and Musk just make an already poor situation worse.

Unsurprisingly…
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #36
I agree with JK Rowling and a host of others....its a man beating up on a woman and equivalent to a female boxer being allowed to take steroids and then allowed to compete. The IBA banned Khelif at the 2023 World Champs after failing a eligibility test and there is no indication anywhere Khelif has identified as a transgender.
Its just fashionable Wokie drivel that drives the argument for him/her to be allowed to compete and given the distasteful Olympic opening ceremony from the French its hardly surprising...

Reply #37
I agree with JK Rowling and a host of others....its a man beating up on a woman and equivalent to a female boxer being allowed to take steroids and then allowed to compete. The IBA banned Khelif at the 2023 World Champs after failing a eligibility test and there is no indication anywhere Khelif has identified as a transgender.
Its just fashionable Wokie drivel that drives the argument for him/her to be allowed to compete and given the distasteful Olympic opening ceremony from the French its hardly surprising...

Do yourself a favor eb and read the Snopes article.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #38
Do yourself a favor eb and read the Snopes article.

The Snopes article is just the tip of the iceberg. There’s plenty out there that makes Khelif’s personal and professional record pretty clear.

Reply #39
The Snopes article is just the tip of the iceberg. There’s plenty out there that makes Khelif’s personal and professional record pretty clear.

I’ve read enough, I searched out the Snopes article after a normally sensible mate was sharing the agenda driven clickbait
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #40
https://au.yahoo.com/sports/gold-silver-medals-not-olympic-193028940.html
A bizarre situation imo....a country is either eligible or not and if Belarus are out then so are their athletes imho, regardless of their political status as neutrals or good guy Belaruskies.
Russia are banned and Belarus and their Dictator Putin Puppet president Lukashenko and citizens should be treated the same as an entirety.

Reply #41
A bizarre situation imo....a country is either eligible or not and if Belarus are out then so are their athletes imho, regardless of their political status as neutrals or good guy Belaruskies.
Russia are banned and Belarus and their Dictator Putin Puppet president Lukashenko and citizens should be treated the same as an entirety.
Not sure why they aren't allowed to compete really.  It's a farcical situation to politicise the games that are supposed to be about the international community coming together. 

Eanwhile Israel are competing...
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #42

Previously they've had athletes competing under the olympics flag. Not sure why they don't do the same.

Reply #43
Not sure why they aren't allowed to compete really.  It's a farcical situation to politicise the games that are supposed to be about the international community coming together. 

Eanwhile Israel are competing...
You are either in or out imho not half way and as Krud suggested if special exemptions have been allowed previously then fine let them compete under the Olympic flag ie athletes who maybe from a banned country but have sought political refuge in another country but dont qualify for their new country.