Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 19 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 2758 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 19 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #15
Really through Motlop played his game well

Similar stats to OF - but 3 goals. We won by 19

Reply #16
They are a bottom 3 side and we are 2nd, and Xerri nearly lead them to an upset.

All the other teams around us had percentage boosters.

That once in a lifetime rare as rocking horse sh1t event, you know when 2 or 3 KPPs get injured, for us it was nearly 2 out of 3 weeks.

The more you load them, the more likely it becomes.

We have to get players into the finals in good nick, and 2 out of 3 weeks we've put blokes back on the ground who could barely run, and put our KPFs and Monster mid to the sword bridging the gap.
"Ruck, ruck, ruck, ruck ....... Ruck, ruck, ruck, ruck"

Reply #17
Cottrell starting to find it. Not spectacular but he was more involved. Might have been lucky to avoid a spell in the 2s after little input prev 2 weeks

Reply #18
More negatives than positives out of that game.
17th placed side...and we struggled to put them away.

There just seems to be this attitude at the moment that we really just have to turn up.
There is not a ruthlessness about our side.
Applying pressure can't be a part-time occupation.
It has to be full-on, intense and sustained.

You look at that performance and compare it to some of our games at the end of last year and it's chalk and cheese.
It's not a case of not being capable
It's an attitude thing.
I think if we were facing a Sydney or Brisbane it would be a different story.
We know it would be a big task and be ready.
But things can go pear shaped pretty quickly with a half-assed attitude.
Lazy habits can become entrenched...
A couple of injuries and we're back to the pack.

The frustrating thing is that we all know the talent is there.
It shouldn't be a chore to get it done.
(and yes...I do know we won...and I'm happy about that aspect ;)  ;D .)

Reply #19
Probably is time for TDK to get a rest, he looks like an old trotter Paleface Adios who used be heavily  taped up everytime he ran. Jordan Sweet has been rucking for Port and is the old fashioned non athletic ruck and a 5 day break only might break TDK if we don't give him a spell but Sweet would suit Pittonets skill set IMHO.
Walsh is another who is looking banged up and needs his workload reduced or miss a game....maybe Sub if we need a lift he can come on  but he doesn't have to play the whole game and keep getting hammered like he did today.

Reply #20
He won’t be in my best players but I just want to acknowledge Ollie Hollands for his ability to get to contests and his repeat efforts.

I have wondered about his selection week after week but, like Matty Cottrell, I suspect that a lot of Ollie’s work goes unnoticed.  It was more apparent this arvo.  Well done young man!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #21
I thought NM were very good. The ladder is irrelevant this year. Although if you drop a game, it can be a slippery snake down the board.

We just did enough. No more. No less. I thought our contest and defence was poor for significant periods. Top opponents will make you pay for that.

Our young or less experienced players at times kept us in it at times. Although that's a good sign, it isn't something we can rely on. Moo, Fog, Hollands x 2 (some of Ollie's best alongside a few clangers) Motlop, Carroll  & Mowies all played their role. Cottrell is finding some form too. It's great that Binns had a ripper in the 2's.

George. Saad, Newy, Crippa toiled away. TDK, H, and Charlie had big moments but lacked consistency. No doubt having about 6 players revolving through the rooms didn't help.

In all, we're far from settled. Yet managed to do enough against a talented young side.

Rest, recover, and hope we have no injuries. We don't need more games with an unsettled side.

Go Blues

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #22
Felt we played a little choppy and messy due to positional changes.
Hewett just has to play every week. Not sure on Cerra in the backline he needs to be in the guts. Walshy down on form a little and would like to him him play forward a little more to regain touch.

Reply #23
No-one can be happy about that game, we nearly coughed it up too. Thing is, serious premiership contenders don't struggle to put away the cellar-dwellers but we do.

Spectators & passengers, there was not one player out there tonight who can honestly say they gave four quarters.

What happened to that ferocious attack on the contest we had a month ago that enabled us to totally throttle teams ??

Seriously scratching my head now and fear that we will drop some more games in the run to the finals with this lackadaisical approach.

- Port have a sniff of finals now and may be a tougher prospect than earlier in the year
- even though they savaged by injuries the Pies are due for a bounce back and may be unpredictable
- Hawthorn are playing out of their clacks and are starting to blow teams away
- the Eagles should be an comfortable win but there is no room for complacency
- Saints are sh1t but you never know which of their personas will turn up on the day   

The thing that really annoys me is that we dropped games against the Giants & Dogs that we were expected to win and had we gone acoording to the plan, we would be equal top now.  

"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #24
Not having the extra tall hurt us today, especially with Tom de Koning well below his best. When he lifted in the third, we looked unbeatable. In the 4th, he was thrashed and we struggled to get a clearance.
With H on and off and Tom the same, it allowed Comben to go forward and kick 3 goals. We had no other talls to go with him.
Charlie is so far off his game that it isn't funny and he still kicked 4 goals. He should have had 8! He is dropping marks badly at the moment.
Our midfield struggles to run guys down: lack of leg speed in the middle. This needs addressing, soonest.
I think we should have played Cincotta on Sheezel or LDU today; they wouldn't have a quarter of the effect.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #25
Not having the extra tall hurt us today, especially with Tom de Koning well below his best. When he lifted in the third, we looked unbeatable. In the 4th, he was thrashed and we struggled to get a clearance.
With H on and off and Tom the same, it allowed Comben to go forward and kick 3 goals. We had no other talls to go with him.
Charlie is so far off his game that it isn't funny and he still kicked 4 goals. He should have had 8! He is dropping marks badly at the moment.
Our midfield struggles to run guys down: lack of leg speed in the middle. This needs addressing, soonest.
I think we should have played Cincotta on Sheezel or LDU today; they wouldn't have a quarter of the effect.
Didnt learn much from last time with Sheezel who had 30 plus possies, thats the annoying bit, another 35 today.

Reply #26
Can we get Lewis Young in the team now please?

Yeah he can be scared of his own shadow at times, but with confidence that changes.  He was capable with weitering out of the side, and when weiters returned, against gws we played them both and he was fine.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #27
Can we get Lewis Young in the team now please?

Yeah he can be scared of his own shadow at times, but with confidence that changes.  He was capable with weitering out of the side, and when weiters returned, against gws we played them both and he was fine.
Sam Durdin wasn't embarrassing: he did his job, mainly on Teakle, but he wasn't the long term answer. The number of times he got his hands to the ball only to not complete the mark was frustrating.
Young has to be in the frame, but he certainly isn't setting the world on fire in the 2's.
Do we promote Kemp on his game? It was certainly a good one. But who did he play against? Has he learnt from his blunders? Do we play him up forward if H doesn't come up?
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #28
Didnt learn much from last time with Sheezel who had 30 plus possies, thats the annoying bit, another 35 today.
Sheezel was helped by Xerri's dominance. When Tom got up in the 3rd quarter, North couldn't buy a clearance, but Sheezel got them down his throat for most of the game.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #29
6-7 goals to Norf via rubbish decisions or non-decisions today didn't help
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?