Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2024 Rd 17 Carlton vs Collingwood at Collingwood (Read 1188 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2024 Rd 17 Carlton vs Collingwood at Collingwood

Reply #15
Only watched that quarter, and if that was more intense than i'd hate to see what the first half was like.
That was pretty easy training drill.

As a Blues supporter, it's entertaining. Rottingwood are just deplorable. Yep, training drill for us... and not complaining.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #16
As a Blues supporter, it's entertaining. Rottingwood are just deplorable. Yep, training drill for us... and not complaining.

If its not triple figures, we have failed.

Reply #17
Rottingwood supporters watching this game hoping for some bright lights will be sorely disappointed.

Reckon our very own Spotted One would get a lazy 20 possessions and 5 majors for us today.

Reply #18
Well that was fun! Blues by 83pts.

Bluebaggers:  20.13
Rottingwood: 7.8

Not sure getting all excited over many performances from our boys will serve any useful purpose... they had little opposition.

Reply #19
Well that was fun! Blues by 83pts.

Bluebaggers:  20.13
Rottingwood: 7.8

Not sure getting all excited over many performances from our boys will serve any useful purpose... they had little opposition.

I agree, but wins have been thin on the ground, so it's good to add another one to a pretty bare cupboard.

Reply #20
Pitto had a pretty good game but still didn’t manage a single mark.  He can certainly clunk the ball so the problem might be his positioning.  Apart from one attempt deep in the forward line, I can’t really recall any marking contests he was in.

Mirkov took a few marks around the ground and in the forward line despite not seeming to be able to read the flight.  It was one of the best games I’ve seen the big fella play.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #21
I agree, but wins have been thin on the ground, so it's good to add another one to a pretty bare cupboard.

Exactly how I saw it and why I watched it all the way through, a win is a win is a win. Happy for the boys.

Reply #22
Pitto had a pretty good game but still didn’t manage a single mark.  He can certainly clunk the ball so the problem might be his positioning.  Apart from one attempt deep in the forward line, I can’t really recall any marking contests he was in.

Mirkov took a few marks around the ground and in the forward despite not seeming to be able to read the flight.  It was one of the best games I’ve seen the big fella play.

I only watched about half the game, so dont really want to comment too much on specifics.

A few have talked about Pittos marking in the past, and use TDK as the comparison.

They are different players who play (slightly) different positions and have different skill sets.
Pittos strength is not so much in his ability to mark. Its in his ability to not get outmarked. He is the dump kick down the line that you want to spill over the line and get a throw in from.
Alternatively, TDK can take some clunks worthy of getting a car, but he also gets outpositioned and outmarked a lot easier. This was very evident when we swung him into defence against the cats and/or giants. recently, but also up forward.

Having said that, i'm not sure pitto ever recovered properly from that finger injury that he suffered a month or so ago which is surely hampering him in that area.

Reply #23
How was Lord? This was his first or second game?

Reply #24
I only watched about half the game, so dont really want to comment too much on specifics.

A few have talked about Pittos marking in the past, and use TDK as the comparison.

They are different players who play (slightly) different positions and have different skill sets.
Pittos strength is not so much in his ability to mark. Its in his ability to not get outmarked. He is the dump kick down the line that you want to spill over the line and get a throw in from.
Alternatively, TDK can take some clunks worthy of getting a car, but he also gets outpositioned and outmarked a lot easier. This was very evident when we swung him into defence against the cats and/or giants. recently, but also up forward.

Having said that, i'm not sure pitto ever recovered properly from that finger injury that he suffered a month or so ago which is surely hampering him in that area.

Pitto’s not getting outmarked because he’s not involved in marking contests.

He’s shown that he can take a decent mark in recent games so I don’t think his finger is the problem.  He’s not getting to marking contests as a defender and his teammates rarely kick to him and/or he doesn’t present as a marking target.

De Koning’s strength is his ability to launch for marks or spoils rather than outbodying opponents … and that’s why he’ll always be a ruckman/forward and not a key defender.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #25
I haven't seen the game yet; got in from Marvel not that long ago. But the statistics are amazing. Are Collingwood really that bad?
[1] Most of our low performers played better today. Mirkov took a couple of marks and kicked 2 goals from5 possessions. That is an improvement over what he's been producing. Moir had 19 possessions and 2 goals. That is double what he's been getting. Monahan had 14 possessions. Harry Lemmey had 18! That is 70% better than his usual.
Dom Akuei didn't do a lot, but he was in defence.
[2] Our midfield, our Achilles' Heel all year was incredible! Binns: 47 possessions. 47! And 3 goals! Will Hayes 35 possessions and 10 clearances! Zavier Maher with 36 possessions. 3 goals and 8 clearances; his best ever. Archie Stevens had 24, Heath Ramshaw had 24 possessions and Cooper Lord had 23. And Pitto had 17 possessions and 8 clearances. That is a smashing!
[3] Brodie Kemp did what we wanted him to do: he got the ball and didn't stuff it up. He had 12 marks, 10 before half time. Will he come straight back in? Maybe. After all, we had a few injury challenges.
[4] A couple of diasppointments:
Jack Martin 17 possessions and no goals. Handy, but still needs a run.
Will White: 9 possessions and no goals. White has been one of our major scoring options this year. Disappointing, but everyone is allowed a bad game.
Lewis Young: 14 possessions and 7 marks. Not bad, but other clearly did better. is it enough to get him up for the seniors? I doubt it.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #26
Kemp did make at least one stuff up.   A short kick out of defense to an opponent.   Pretty bad. Aside from that he's good in that intercept role.

We are desperately crying out for Lewis Young.  He's our only defensive tall with the size and shape that can complement our senior boys and usually kicks it ok.  His issue has been aggression but he was playing with more when we dropped him earlier this season and thats been the end of him so far.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #27
And could potentially play as an emergency ruck....really hope he can get get his shh together because we have  seen it, we know he can be a good contributor at senior level
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #28
And could potentially play as an emergency ruck....really hope he can get get his shh together because we have  seen it, we know he can be a good contributor at senior level
He isn't a great ruckman, but he can do the job better than than most of our guys. Maybe he does need a game or two.
Live Long and Prosper!