Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 19 2024 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 3921 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 19 2024 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #30
Played on Jesse Hogan 2 weeks ago.

He did...Hogan kicked 5 and had 15 touches.

Reply #33
Kemp has stalled in his development. Try him forward.

He has?

His intercept game has improved. Made some blunders against the Dogs - needs to improve his disposal efficiency in the back half and contested posession wins. Marchy has him covered here but very harsh on Kempy... but needs to clean up that disposal in the back half 66% efficiency and having the ball 15-20 times per game is hurting us. Developing nicely imo.

Reply #34
Marchbank will be injured before the season ends, we shouldn't be wasting our time. Back the players who got us to where we are not feel good stories from the past.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #35
Same mistake we made for the prelim. Dropped kemp in favour of Marchbank.

I like Marchbank, but he is not the future. Kemp has more upside and can play on a wider variety of players compared to Marchbank.

From the extended bench, i'd go this way with it.
[37] Jordan Boyd,
[29] George Hewett,
[44] Matthew Owies,
[28] David Cuningham,
Sub...
[46] Matthew Cottrell,

Emergencies
[16] Jack Carroll,
[38] Sam Durdin,
[27] Marc Pittonet

Reply #36
Durdin will play. He'll be matched up against Teakle.
Pitto may well play as well, as North have 2 rucks.

I wouldn't be playing Cottrell: he needs to find some form and confidence in the VFL.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #37
He has?

His intercept game has improved. Made some blunders against the Dogs - needs to improve his disposal efficiency in the back half and contested posession wins. Marchy has him covered here but very harsh on Kempy... but needs to clean up that disposal in the back half 66% efficiency and having the ball 15-20 times per game is hurting us. Developing nicely imo.

Don't see the word 'stalled' as a huge criticism.
It's not meant that way.
It simply means that he is not playing much better, if at all better, than he was last year.
Now for a 23 year old you would expect a level of improvement.
There hasn't been that breakthrough...yet.
And one way to make it happen is to give him some opportunities elsewhere in the side.
Don't drop him, try another spot.

I actually rate Kemp.
I see in him the potential to play a number of positions.
Have a look at his draft profile and one of the features of it was his versatility...

https://central.rookieme.com/afl/player/brodie-kemp/

Yet we seem to have determined he is a defender (maybe through necessity) and that's where he stays...
but the fact is he's now out of the side.
It will be interesting to see where and how he is used in the VFL.

Reply #38
I’ve had a feeling with Kemp that he’s not killing the ball when he’s 3rd man up, I suspect that’s why they’ve gone with Marchbank
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #39
I’ve had a feeling with Kemp that he’s not killing the ball when he’s 3rd man up, I suspect that’s why they’ve gone with Marchbank
Possibly correct, but after I watched the replay I thought he might come under a bit of scrutiny for ball use decisions, in that he failed to pull the trigger a couple of times and dropped his head.

Sometimes it's just one or two events that can trigger an MC, and last game Kemp had a couple of moments which I thought just looked awful.
"Ruck, ruck, ruck, ruck ....... Ruck, ruck, ruck, ruck"

Reply #40
Need a steady settled defense to win a premiership, dropping Kemp isnt a sign of that imho, we have moved on from Young, now we have moved on from Kemp. Marchbank isnt a true KP defender imo and I cant see him holding down CHB in the finals and thats if he can even stay on the park till finals.
Kemp gets the two tough gigs vs GWS and the Dogs but gets dropped vs Nth who have been playing the less challenging defender Toby Pink at CHF, not sure how that is developing Kemp?

Reply #41
I doubt Kemps been written off, though sometimes I wonder who Weiters feels more comfortable with, who he thinks he can rely on to do what needs to be done.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #42

I suspect that it's more because of Kemp completely losing his opponents on several occasions in our last two games.  In one case he gave Hogan a couple of metres, then took a detour around the goal post that allowed Hogan an uncontested mark about 15 metres out.  Kemp needs to work on his positioning in the VFL to win his spot back.

Like Crash, I have a feeling that Nige will come in to the 22 and we'll have a very a different defensive set up.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #43
I think the back 6 is at its most solid when it includes Weiters, Gov and Kemp as the three main pillars. When ones goes out, it seems to fall apart. Just my opinion.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #44
I think we are getting the squad ready for the real stuff and I think we are currently boosting players stocks for next season.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson