Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 18 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 6605 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 18 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #60
The berserker games style has served us well, especially since the rules changed, but we were beaten at our own game tonight.

PS; Nice to hear Voss backing Cripps, as the leader of his players. Also great to hear him vaguely mention the nefarious stuff happening in our D50 that I talked about in game that went unpunished and delivered the Dogs multiple goals. Also liked the Voss comments about a season long focus, fans are largely ignorant of those effects when they comment about MC issues.
"Ruck, ruck, ruck, ruck ....... Ruck, ruck, ruck, ruck"

Reply #61
We've copped 100 points against two weeks running.  That's not a ruck problem that's a system problem.

System not hamstring by rucks.  Weitering needs help, Newman is getting attention and not chopping things off like he did, Kemp is man minding marchbank is a shadow, cowans opponents are getting loose and saad is not accountable.

What we need is another tall who is that dour type who just gets the job done and doesn't need to be a world beater just defensively dour.  Will aid weitering to get back to chopping the play off because our opposition stopped him by blocking his run at the ball drop and the umps let it go all day.

That and the fact that we were often under so much pressure in the middle it made life rough.

@Iaj, I'm not sure a wet night at the G is comparable to a dry deck at marvel.  Composure cost us more.

We lost by 2 goals. A smaller type would have helped. Our strength is our pressure. Grunt types like Hewitt are way more important to that than another ruck. No ifs or buts there.

Melbourne still won with no rucks.

Reply #62
TDK is the best ruck I have seen playing for us since Justin Madden.

If anyone wants to build a spine then SOS is one hell of a spine builder when it comes to mids and smalls he is one hell of a dud.

But TDK must be solo ruck as it allows the lads to run out games and cover spaces on the spread better not to mention better efficiency in the coal face.

No slight on Pitto but he has always been VFL standard. He hasn't improved since 2018.. good bloke and blah blah but is a back up and thats it. Vossys game plan requires a crap load of physical intensity and despite Pitto being a strong bloke - thats about all where it stands for him. If we want hit outs then get an 8ft dope for $20k per year out of the USA that can tap the ball all day and do nothing else.

Reply #63

Melbourne still won with no rucks.
CheateFC lost with Draper solo rucking. ;)D

Might have won with Goldy too! :D

The very night you decided to make this point there are two games where dominant solo rucks have lost! It's a waste of space in this thread because our loss wasn't a ruck driven issue, we had first use often and burnt the footy.

Reply #64
Hate losing, especially to a team below us on the ladder, even more so the WB. Results have gone our way in that we will maintain ladder position unless Port belt the suitcase out of GC.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #65
Also liked the Voss comments about a season long focus, fans are largely ignorant of those effects when they comment about MC issues.
Fans know that we should beat teams well below us on the ladder.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #66
2nd week in a row we sh*t the bed after qtr time when an opponent applied quick, relentless pressure - the formula to reduce us to clacker chasers for the day.
Team apology to Crippa.
Obvious passengers... Cottrell, O Hollands, Marchbank and Pitto.
Few blokes in the Magoos should be rubbing their hands together.
MC... wake up to yourselves.
Charlie... 3.7, speaks for itself.
Midfield, except for Crippa - terrible.
Devoid of authority and confidence.
Didn't at all look like a top 4 side.
Embarrassing.
Hunter v Hunted EOS
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #67
Fans know that we should beat teams well below us on the ladder.
So even before we've played them once you declare us superior!

Who else are we superior too sight unseen?

Those of us old enough will recall losing to the Aints routinely, season after season, them at the bottom and us in our superiority at the top! ;)

Reply #68
Anyone else feel we've got a bit 'lairy'.
I'm talking about things like underneath handballs or these overhead floaters without looking that hang in the air and miss the target as often as they hit it.

Reply #69
Anyone else feel we've got a bit 'lairy'.
I'm talking about things like underneath handballs or these overhead floaters without looking that hang in the air and miss the target as often as they hit it.

Yep 100%.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #70
So even before we've played them once you declare us superior!
Yes, pre-game I'd guess most supporters and pundits would have had us down for a win (coming off allowing an 80 odd point turnaround last week and "doing the right thing" for the Captain in his 200th. Milestone games normally mean jack crap to me but this one was different. He has stuck fat with what was an abomination of a club for most of his football life and we dish that up against the side who was 10th or 11th before the game? Unacceptable no matter how you stir it (site unseen or not). I get Voss's long view thing but there are signs there that aren't good for a team that is 2nd and supposedly now a contender.
The coming weeks will be very interesting (sight unseen).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #71
Things are not looking good at the moment. We could easily lose our next 3 out of four games. What has gone wrong recently? Have we been punching above our weight? We are not a real contender if we can’t beat GWS or the Bulldogs. I hope we are not just making up the numbers in the top 8. We have just exposed the fact that we are not a real threat. A very, very disappointing result. I didn’t watch the game to give a true evaluation, but I prefer that over watching what should have been an comfortable win. Very weak and poor result. Forget a flag this year with this application from the playing group.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #72
Things are not looking good at the moment. We could easily lose our next 3 out of four games. What has gone wrong recently? Have we been punching above our weight? We are not a real contender if we can’t beat GWS or the Bulldogs. I hope we are not just making up the numbers in the top 8. We have just exposed the fact that we are not a real threat. A very, very disappointing result. I didn’t watch the game to give a true evaluation, but I prefer that over watching what should have been an comfortable win. Very weak and poor result. Forget a flag this year with this application from the playing group.
100% agree with this. Club and supporter base got given a reality check in the last two weeks. Lets see where to from here. As Lods pointed out there are elements of our game creeping in that dont add up to tough, hard, ruthless finals type footy. We normally respond/correct well but this week we did not.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #73
We've copped 100 points against two weeks running.  That's not a ruck problem that's a system problem.

System not hamstring by rucks.  Weitering needs help, Newman is getting attention and not chopping things off like he did, Kemp is man minding marchbank is a shadow, cowans opponents are getting loose and saad is not accountable.

What we need is another tall who is that dour type who just gets the job done and doesn't need to be a world beater just defensively dour.  Will aid weitering to get back to chopping the play off because our opposition stopped him by blocking his run at the ball drop and the umps let it go all day. .

Don't get me wrong, there are.multiple problems.
I've been on about an extra kpd for longer than I've been on this ruck debate.
Imo that goes without saying but it's something that is out of our control because we don't have one on our list.

Reply #74
There are consistent calls for Cuningham to be brought into the side when fit.  But wouldn't he be in the same league as Fantasia?

He has shown that he has the skills to succeed but has he ever put in four quarters ?  My impression is that he has never given us more than one or two quarters in a game before disappearing, and that is what caused him to be dropped prior to getting his current injury.

Best game cunners played was a couple years ago right before he got injured. Got 28 touches  against the bombers....got 3 brownlow votes.
Next year against them he had 25 and kicked 2.
He averages 13 touches a game over the same period Fantasia has mixed out at 13.

Fantasia best game was when he got 13 touches and kicked 4 goals recently. 2 of them were gimmies he didn't earn, but so be it.
Apart from that you have to OK back to 2021 to see the same amount of goals or possessions in a game from him. 2021!

Cunners when used to run through the middle gives you midfield numbers. When solely up forward he gives you Fantasia numbers.

Cunners is entering his prime. Fantasia is past it.