Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 18 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 4516 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 18 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #150
If Weightman wants to do that crap, I'd be instructing his minder to put a knee into him at every opportunity and see how he likes it...  Do unto others with interest I reckon.

I can't see Kemp or McG or Cowan accepting that kind of rubbish.  Play angry, take no prisoners.  Remember how GWS showed the Doggies to be a bit soft?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #151
That sounds like lazy coaching from our end EB, maybe more than the players need a reminder to sort things out
Prof..Id be pointing the finger at the backline coach rather than Voss, its their job to monitor that area and let know the coach know what is happening and suggest counter moves imho.

Reply #152
Prof..Id be pointing the finger at the forward line coach rather than Voss, its their job to monitor that area and let know the coach know what is happening and suggest counter moves imho.
Ol mate Jordan Russell the whipping boy again?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #153
I don't think anybody doubts that, the problem @Baggers it might not be sustainable week in and week out.

Fans want a lot of stuff, they want Charlie and / or Harry kicking 10, they want TDK solo dominating, they want Cripps BoG, they want Walsh with 30+ and Weiters with a dozen intercepts in front of a scoreless opponent, but want isn't reality, it's not even reality for one game let alone week after week.

We need a spread of methods, we need some easy wins, we need some gritty wins, we need ways to win with small forwards, and ways to win with KPPs, in summary we need many ways to find a win, but by definition having multiple avenues to victory will mean some weeks certain players are in roles that won't see then in the spotlight.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear, Spotted One. My point is about above the shoulders. Yes, some players will have ordinary days attitude wise. But not most of the side. Sustained excellence is not fickle or moody. To expect to be at our best, mentally, for two hours a week is not a stretch.

Sorry mate, but no-one expects, to use your example, Charles or H to kick 10 goals every week. Or Crippa to be BOG every week (though he does come close), Walsh to get 30 plus possessions ...etc. That's just silly. But there is a reasonable expectation to be as switched on as possible, to be focussed, to represent our 'brand' with a hunting mentality. For two games in a row our mental application has been below our own standards. No excuses. Early last year our mental application was poor, and the players knew it and went away and addressed it. From there on we sustained focus and excellence for more than 3 months! With only two slip ups, the second being the preliminary final - exhausted.

There is an above the shoulders issue which must be addressed which I am confident the coaches and players know about. When Crippa refused to be chaired off the ground and got the players into a huddle I'm sure he wasn't justifying and excusing the effort as some would suggest. "Hey fellas, don't worry about it, nothing to be concerned about, it's to be expected we can't sustain good efforts ever week..." I don't think so. As a leader he was right royally p*ssed off and wanted to get his troops' heads back in the game. That's leadership. He wants a ruthless attitude from his boys... every week.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #156
My mistake GTC...Backline coach, so JR off the hook.
For now
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #157
According to Fog:

“It’s been defensively – we’ve given up 100 points the last two games, and if you look at prior to that, we had five games in a row where we’ve only given up 70-odd points.

As an 18-man system, we’re not connected, so we had a look at some vision, forwards, backs and midfielders, and just got on the same page there to make sure we’re connected.

We haven’t been at our best, from stoppages as well we’ve been giving up a fair few points."

I suspect that George Hewett and Matt Kennedy are important links in that defensive connection.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball