Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2024 Rd 15 Carlton vs GWS at Blacktown (Read 1738 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2024 Rd 15 Carlton vs GWS at Blacktown

Reply #15
Motlop with his 3rd and it’s out to 18 points
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #16
GWS hit back with 2 goals
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #17
In my opinion Liam McMahon won't make it, he has the physical attributes, but when he spills a mark his natural reaction is to waste time staging for a free.

A couple of times this games he has spilt relatively easy chest marks or uncontested marks and then his next effort is to beg for an umpire to fix up the faux pas! Both times if he had followed up he had nearby team-mates in the open but left the footy for GWS to clean up.
"Ruck, ruck, ruck, ruck ....... Ruck, ruck, ruck, ruck"

Reply #18
Beautiful pass from Lewis Young results in a Cahill goal, 13 points
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #19
Nice contest by Motlop gives him 4 and we are out to 21
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #20
Lord has a good crack, from the little I’ve seen him and Carrol go ok at this level.
Blues back out to 21
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #21
Lord has a good crack, from the little I’ve seen him and Carrol go ok at this level.
Blues back out to 21

You can see why we gave Lord a go.  The question is can he produce that at AFL level?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #22
Hayes clearly gave us a boost and the usual suspects in Carroll, Binns, Cuningham,Pittonet and Lord were consistent players. You have to wonder though how good some of these players really are if a former player like Hayes coming in cold can have such an influence on the game.

Reply #23
Hayes clearly gave us a boost and the usual suspects in Carroll, Binns, Cuningham,Pittonet and Lord were consistent players. You have to wonder though how good some of these players really are if a former player like Hayes coming in cold can have such an influence on the game.
My thoughts exactly, a bloke who has been out of the system for almost a year comes back in from the cold and is probably BoG ahead of fulltime AFL types, says quite a lot about those on the fringe of our AFL team!

Just can't make sense of it @ElwoodBlues1, it shouldn't be possible.

Reply #24
Blues back out to 21
Carroll wins the ball ok but his disposal can let him down, swings onto the left and just bangs the ball forward, I think Lord uses the ball better and is a better decision maker. Downside to Lord is his light frame for me, no doubting he attacks the ball ok but at senior level those bigger bodies are going to be tough for him abit like how Ollie Hollands finds it tough some weeks and gets pushed off the ball a lot.

Reply #25
Downside to Lord is his light frame for me, no doubting he attacks the ball ok but at senior level those bigger bodies are going to be tough for him abit like how Ollie Hollands finds it tough some weeks and gets pushed off the ball a lot.
Ollie looks miles ahead of Lord in terms of running power and aerobic capacity.

In the short term, who does Lord displace and how, other than injury?

For me Carroll and Binns are also well ahead, and they all seem to be competing for the that last remaining slot. From today's VFL game, as a potential fill in, I'd have Will Hayes ahead of Lord, Binns and Carroll! :o

Maybe Hayes can see that also, and that it why he is back, happy to sit on the fringe for that occasional opportunity. Blokes happy to do that have ended up with premiership medals!

Reply #26
My thoughts exactly, a bloke who has been out of the system for almost a year comes back in from the cold and is probably BoG ahead of fulltime AFL types, says quite a lot about those on the fringe of our AFL team!

Just can't make sense of it @ElwoodBlues1, it shouldn't be possible.
Hayes is a mature player at 29 years of age which probably gives him a head start but its hard to fathom how he managed to win the ball so easily. Has he been playing any local football because he seemed to be not bothered by the pace of the game?

Reply #27
Hayes is a mature player at 29 years of age which probably gives him a head start but its hard to fathom how he managed to win the ball so easily. Has he been playing any local football because he seemed to be not bothered by the pace of the game?
Not sure if he's been playing any footy, but he has always been a fitness addict, gets up to go for a run before doing track work and the like! Then often has another run at the end of the day to cap things off, his brother pegs him as hyperactive!

So fitness probably isn't a problem, but even so it's not match fitness, and nothing at lower levels gives you VFL/AFL match type fitness. Aerobic means nothing if you become tired from the bump, push and shove stuff. I don't understand it, it says something but I'm just not sure what. Perhaps VFL / AFL ain't what it use to be! :o

PS; Been known to do a bit of a "Cliffy" and jog around the paddocks on the property chasing livestock!

Reply #28
Ollie looks miles ahead of Lord in terms of running power and aerobic capacity.

In the short term, who does Lord displace and how, other than injury?
Ollie should be better in those areas given he has had senior football and been trained to a higher standard with the senior group and knows all the running plays/patterns etc but I take your point that Lord even with a high level of those attributes isnt going to displace anyone that I can think of in the short to medium term unless we get a spate of injuries and even then those aorund him today like Carroll, Binns, Cuningham would be well ahead in the pecking order...
Add the Campo's and Im seeing Lord playing a lot of VFL football....

Reply #29
Pitto, Cunningham, Carroll, Young, Motlop - as you'd expect. Binns probably goes a bit unnoticed with his running.

Akui - miles off still

Lord, White, Hayes (on return 2nd club debut) were good. As well as the solid VFL guys like Maher, McMahon etc

I know Lord is on the light side but the way he attacks the game reminds me of a young Crippa. Im interested to watch him develop under Vossy.

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.