Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 16 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Richmond (Read 3859 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 16 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #30
Another win and another step forwards to lock in a top 4 spot. We need a top 4 finish, no matter what. Our best is great but there are still a few lose ends in the team. Some fine tuning to do to be elite. I just hope injures don’t kill this season. Keep banking the 4 points every game. If we continue to get over the line. Keep up the hard work boys. Keep digging deep.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #31
I watched the replay in full, fair old
performance. I am noticing a couple of things which are different to the past:
- players really celebrating and enjoying the game. Sure winning helps with confidence and all that but they seem to be genuinely enjoying each others little achievements. Then its quickly back to business. They really got around Orazio today, rightly so.
- attention to detail - I dont lnow how long they have been doing this but I noticed today players cleaning mud off their boots on a special mat as they came off.
All the little things add up I guess
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #32
We have one obvious place we can improve to me. 

It's the little blocks and holds that we could out on our opponents at times.  Give the ball, and block and you give a teamate an extra couple of seconds. 

Decision making at times too, but its just a tidy up and sharpen up that's needed.  Guys like cincotta just do it because that's what they've known coming from the bottom levels, where some of our senior guts haven't done it in the vfl where things are more brutal.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #33
We have one obvious place we can improve to me. 

It's the little blocks and holds that we could out on our opponents at times.  Give the ball, and block and you give a teamate an extra couple of seconds. 

Decision making at times too, but its just a tidy up and sharpen up that's needed.  Guys like cincotta just do it because that's what they've known coming from the bottom levels, where some of our senior guts haven't done it in the vfl where things are more brutal.
One or two too many handballs coming out of the backline.
Did this a few times yesterday, putting the receiver under pressure. Sometimes some handballs were too loopy to. Too much hang time.

Kick to a forward on the lead would nice, instead of just bombing it into the 50.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #34
Did this a few times yesterday, putting the receiver under pressure. Sometimes some handballs were too loopy to. Too much hang time.

Kick to a forward on the lead would nice, instead of just bombing it into the 50.
In fairness, I've noticed this a lot lately, not just our club but that all teams seem to be losing handball skills, possibly because most modern handballs are throws.

But then again, a flick pass use to be a skill, maybe after Elijah Hollands yesterday it still is! ;D
"Ruck, ruck, ruck, ruck ....... Ruck, ruck, ruck, ruck"

Reply #35

Is that a result of the HTB interpretation.
It's really obvious when we watch the game that before many of these handballs are given they're going to a player under immediate pressure...and you think, 'why'.

Reply #36
Solid.
We did as we needed to.
Good to put these bastards to the sword.
Acknowledging the weather, I still think Weiters was a bit fumbly at times.
I liked the look of their Kosi guy.

Is this the same Kosi guy that played/plays for Hawthorn? Related maybe?

Reply #37
Kennedy's knee is probably the major concern.
Hopefully it's nothing serious...

But we had a few minor injuries today....Williams, Saad and Owies all seemed to roll ankles at different times.
Cerra subbed out (hopefully just time management) so injury watch will be interesting.

Knee on knee contact in a rucking contest according the the radio.
Hopefully not a PCL.

Reply #38
Is this the same Kosi guy that played/plays for Hawthorn? Related maybe?

Jacob Koschitzke . Same guy. He played at Hawthorn for a few seasons, then traded to Richmond at the start of this year.

Reply #40
Interesting to see if Boyd gets cited.  Front on but opponent clearly ducked and wasn't hurt.  Then again, Boyd isn't president of the AFLPA.

Apparently so long as you "know everything... to the letter of the law" and "took the safest option" you're in the clear. Even if you pin both ams and you deliberately bring your opponent to the ground, and their head hits the turf.

Go figure. I have no idea of "what" the AFL rules, only "who"
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #42
Knee on knee contact in a rucking contest according the the radio.
Hopefully not a PCL.

No it wasn't knee on knee.  Chugga's leg got pinned and his knee was bent inwards; classic medial ligament scenario.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/u0PitVW8a44

Hopefully it won't be as serious as last season's high-grade MCL injury.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #43
A fairly predictable win even if Richmond stuck with us a little longer than I expected.

The umpiring was puzzling, even when the decisions went our way.  For example, Ollie Hollands was collected high after he kicked the ball and even though we marked his kick outside defensive 50, the ball was brought back to the goals for Hollands to take the free. 

Rucklotto was in full swing, although the pendulum was firmly in Richmond's favour.  Nank rucked well but I think that Pitto was confused by the calls that went against him and Nank's holds and blocks that went unpunished.  It's hard to see how a bloke who rucks most of the game against a very physical opponent isn't given at least one free.

Charlie seemed to have a couple of players hanging off him every time he went near the ball and he didn't win a single free kick.  I can't help but wonder if the umpies were told to lay off after his four frees last week and the media bleating about us scoring goals from frees.  Even though it was a quiet game from Charlie, you can't help but think that he's about to cut loose and I was  momentarily disappointed that he was put on ice in the last quarter.  Harry had another big game around the ground and his work helps our transition immensely.  Zac Williams as CHF when Harry goes into the ruck is interesting  ::)

It was good to see Raz finally get his goal kicking mojo back.  They were all shots that he would have made at his best but not on his form this season.  His work rate has been good and he's been an adequate replacement for Cotters but kicking goals should be his bread and butter.

Cerra back in the side was great even if it meant that Georgie was on the pine for three quarters.  It's a luxury to be able sub on a player of his ability.

Sam Walsh scoring multiple goals was great.  He has only kicked five for the season after managing just six last year.  Midfielders who score goals are gold and I think there's a determination, both from Sam and the team, to create more opportunities to score.

I'm always worried when we take the opposition lightly and going in without De Koning set the alarm bells off.  Pitto was serviceable though and our midfield negated Nank's ruck dominance.  Pitto matched him around the ground, particularly if you discount the goal Nank was gifted for an imaginary ruck infringement.

The only downer was Chugga's knee.  Let's hope it's not too bad.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #44
is there any chance we can give Weitering a rest and my only concern was our slow ball movement from defence