Skip to main content
Topic: The Great Ruck Debate. (Read 7883 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Great Ruck Debate.

Reply #225
Yes, BUT ...

We got a brief look at how bad we can be if that solitary ruck is injured.  Apart from the centre clearance issues, losing McKay from the forward line for an extended period makes it much easier for opponents to negate Curnow.

If we are going to play only one ruck, I would seriously consider selecting Young as the injury substitute in any must-win game. I don't believe the substitute has represented a significant tactical benefit and Young would represent a true injury-sub option to provide a tall option in the ruck and in case any of our injury-prone defensive talls goes down - even Weitering has been shown to be prone to being hobbled.

Xerri is a very good ruckman and his dominance over a hobbled De Koning and our second stringers was North's driving force.  I can see the logic of a ruck-capable tall as a genuine injury sub but I'm not sure that Young would have made much difference,

I would have played Pitto and De Koning as their combined attributes would have reduced Xerri's influence.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #226
Oh well this may be a no issue now as chances are TDK wont play again till finals. Is is hospital with punctured lung and will be out indefinitely.

Reply #228
Farkkkkk

Reply #229
I just heard he also has a foot fracture and is done for the year. Hope thats wrong

Reply #230
Oh well this may be a no issue now as chances are TDK wont play again till finals. Is is hospital with punctured lung and will be out indefinitely.

I saw him on the sidelines struggling to breathe.

North hit us hard physically.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #231
Guess we can close this thread.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #232
Guess we can close this thread.
Not yet...... it Pitto does ok for the next five weeks, and then TDK is back fresh to start the finals, what happens then....?
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #233
Not yet...... it Pitto does ok for the next five weeks, and then TDK is back fresh to start the finals, what happens then....?
Two go out, but only one comes back ................. !

"Ruck, ruck, ruck, ruck ....... Ruck, ruck, ruck, ruck"

Reply #234
I saw him on the sidelines struggling to breathe.

North hit us hard physically.

He got hit by Xerri (i think) in the middle of the ground as he kicked it. Went down straight away and had a trainer come straight out to him. Seemed to shrug it off a bit, but realised he wasn't right.

Nothing really in the hit, but the AFL will probably try and suspend him for 20 weeks due to 'excessive force' simply because he got injured.  ::)

The broken foot is probably just as damning to his finals hopes anyway.

Reply #235
When Pitto get injured again (very likely) we are screwed.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #236
This the player management part of MC, the issues are much broader than a number here or there, they always have been.
"Ruck, ruck, ruck, ruck ....... Ruck, ruck, ruck, ruck"

Reply #237
Yes, BUT ...

We got a brief look at how bad we can be if that solitary ruck is injured.  Apart from the centre clearance issues, losing McKay from the forward line for an extended period makes it much easier for opponents to negate Curnow.

If we are going to play only one ruck, I would seriously consider selecting Young as the injury substitute in any must-win game. I don't believe the substitute has represented a significant tactical benefit and Young would represent a true injury-sub option to provide a tall option in the ruck and in case any of our injury-prone defensive talls goes down - even Weitering has been shown to be prone to being hobbled.

Yes, BUT....
Harry said himself it was good to go have a run around up the ground. It releases him and frees him up.
Blokes like LP keep wanted to protect him by keeping him out of the ruck.
I say we are protecting him more by keeping him out of the forwardline. Every time he gets crunched in a marking contest, he is playing as a forward. We saw that yet again on the weekend. Harry probably enjoys it more than he'll let on.

Of course, that does mean that Charlie gets double teamed.

Of course that does mean the opposition will have an extra tall defender that doesn't have a matchup too.
Use that to our advantage.
They want to keep their 2 big defenders on the ground. So be it.
They want to keep their 2 big defenders on Charlie. So be it.
Use our 4-5 small forwards to cause havoc in the meantime. Play through the 'tall defender' by running off him and getting free.

For every negative, there is a positive on the other side of the coin.

Our pressure is what we are known for. Not our ruckwork.
Yes our clearance work is as good as any.....but when we lose, we lose because our pressure is down, not our clearance work.

We lost clearances (by 1) to North.....but we out pressured them.
We won clearances (by 1) against dogs....but we got out pressured.
We won clearances (by 3) against GWS....but we got out pressured.

Forget about winning an extra couple of clearances.
Focus on provided a lot more pressure.

Reply #238
Im guessing but if TDK returns in ok condition that Pittonet will play finals on the bench as security..but as GTC suggested thats only if Pittonet himself can hold up and remain injury free. If Pittonet gets injured then I can see Lewis Young back in the lineup as that backup player for both KP defense and ruck.

Reply #239
It is where Casboult used to be handy. Was reasonable forward but a decent 2nd ruck. What we have now is much better tall forwards but don't ruck as well as Levi although running around the ground is a great thing for Harry.