Skip to main content
Topic: The Great Ruck Debate. (Read 7880 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Great Ruck Debate.

Reply #240
I'm tipping it will be just the one ruck for a while....lol.

We looked for a bruise free game on the weekend given we have a 5 day break coming, but we got anything but that.

Reply #241
Clarkson coached teams always try to hammer us, he has always regarded us as soft.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #244
This debate is over.  Pittonet is not the ruckman we need.

Last week we heard all about his stats but i dont need stats.  They paint the wrong picture.  He was better this week but was still well beaten for most of the game.

Can't wait for tdk to return and I would definitely consider rucking a tandem, because we are way too thin both forward and back not to.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #246
It wasn’t so long ago that Pittonet earned a 4 year deal, on the back of some very good form. In fact it was about 12 months ago. So what went wrong ? Has he caught a severe dose of the Lewis Young affliction?

Reply #247
He plays best with DeKoning in the side. :D

And I'm only half joking ;)
While Tom seems to perform better as the solo ruck.
Pittonet may be better suited to having him there

Reply #248
No TDK and we are vulnerable, Cameron was close to BOG imo and Pittonet while a competitor isnt good enough around the ground
 I dont have a problem with the four year deal as he is a good backup ruckman but without TDK as part of the trinity with Cripps and Walsh we are going nowhere.

Reply #249
It wasn’t so long ago that Pittonet earned a 4 year deal, on the back of some very good form. In fact it was about 12 months ago. So what went wrong ? Has he caught a severe dose of the Lewis Young affliction?
the problem is he's too one dimensional and ergo beatable.  He got his 4 year deal because tdk was ready to go to the surf coast, and was still nothing but potential and the cupboard was bare so we signed him to that deal because something is better than nothing.

Right now we need him but he was towelled up last night (no disgrace against a premiership duo) but his inability to do much around the ground hurts him and us.  Marks?  Not really.  He's not kreuzer after the tap, he's not smashing the hit outs, hes not bash and crash where the oppositionmids get too worried about him, he's just a bog standard tall ruck who competes and doesn't do anything outstanding. 

That's fine you need that, but given the length and breadth of this debate, if all of jsos, tdk and pittonet were fit, you'd drop pittonet based on this season.

Paul Hewson

Reply #251
This debate is over.  Pittonet is not the ruckman we need.

Last week we heard all about his stats but i dont need stats.  They paint the wrong picture.  He was better this week but was still well beaten for most of the game.

Can't wait for tdk to return and I would definitely consider rucking a tandem, because we are way too thin both forward and back not to.

Pittonet, like seemingly everyone else in the team right now, isn't playing his best football.

He is not the reason for the form slump though, he is just caught up in it.

Pittonet is still performing well enough in the ruck, without being as dominant as he has been.
Pittonet is still doing the job in clearances and HTA (He got more than Cameron in both)
Pittonet is still capable of giving us what we need - look at how Gov got the ball at the end of the game.

He is not AA.
He does not need to be banished to the VFL.

He is playing because we need an AFL capable ruck and there isn't one on the list, apart from him, who is actually fit.

Not sure where the issue is.

Reply #253
Pittonet, like seemingly everyone else in the team right now, isn't playing his best football.

He is not the reason for the form slump though, he is just caught up in it.

Pittonet is still performing well enough in the ruck, without being as dominant as he has been.
Pittonet is still doing the job in clearances and HTA (He got more than Cameron in both)
Pittonet is still capable of giving us what we need - look at how Gov got the ball at the end of the game.

He is not AA.
He does not need to be banished to the VFL.

He is playing because we need an AFL capable ruck and there isn't one on the list, apart from him, who is actually fit.

Not sure where the issue is.
You're too generous with him.

I'm not chastising the guy, but as we've seen, (a stat you ignore) our midfield makes the ruck look good.

Pittonet is ok, but thats all he is.

Cameron was the best ruck on the ground but our mids won the clearances and the part that costs us is his inability to make a mark around the ground.   He is out of the play.  You said it yourself.  How many times are the rucks actually rucking? 

Paul Hewson

Reply #254
You're too generous with him.

I'm not chastising the guy, but as we've seen, (a stat you ignore) our midfield makes the ruck look good.

Pittonet is ok, but thats all he is.

Cameron was the best ruck on the ground but our mids won the clearances and the part that costs us is his inability to make a mark around the ground.   He is out of the play.  You said it yourself.  How many times are the rucks actually rucking?

I've done the stats on this previously, our clearances improve with Pittonet over TDK.
So yes, our mids make him look good, but he makes their life easier too.

I never suggested Pittonet was better around the ground. I did say that (at the time, ie last year) he was not a whole lot worse than TDK, albeit with less potential, but output wise was similar.
I literally used this logic as justification for not playing a second ruck and why we were (are) better off playing someone like SIlvagni who can contribute around the ground while still putting in a credible effort in the ruck contest.

Obviously TDK lifted this year and all is well with the world.....apart from his inability to stay on the park, which is ultimately why we are where we are right now.

Pitto was getting career numbers around the ground earlier this year before he got injured. I'm not sure if he is back to full fitness or if that finger is bothering him or what. TBH, i reckon the whole club looks flat and with Marchbank and Harry both missing games recently with 'illness' i'd suggest it could be the flu or something running through the club. At least this would explain the dip in form.

In ruck craft/stoppages Pittonet is elite AFL stats show this.
Around the ground he is average or below average (depending on where you look) and we know this too.

He is what he is.
He is not responsible for that loss no more than any of the other 21 blokes out there though.
Without him on our list, we'd probably be rucking Young.....and talk about being below average!