Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2024 Rd 13 Carlton vs Southport at Carlton (Read 1182 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2024 Rd 13 Carlton vs Southport at Carlton

Reply #15
I thought Binns worked a lot harder than Motlop, and Cuners showed why we've persevered with him.  None of them really have a chance of displacing anyone from the AFL team.

A disappointing result given the AFL-listed players in our team.
Its all about luck at this point.  I'm glad all of them are starting to get going. Need a bit of depth and despite not wanting any of the current mob out odds are that an injury can happen any time so the more getting fit the better. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #16
I thought Binns worked a lot harder than Motlop, and Cuners showed why we've persevered with him.  None of them really have a chance of displacing anyone from the AFL team.

A disappointing result given the AFL-listed players in our team.

From our 23 last night, i'd have Durdin and Fantasia as player #22 and #23.

Cunners and Motlop in to replace them is an improvement IMO.

Reply #17

Fit and in form I have no doubt.  But ongoing fragility is a problem with Cunners and Mots isn't yet putting in enough and consistent enough effort for mine.  True the supply isn't great and Mots seems the type to lift at the higher level but I think he has to earn the promotion.  Durds had little chance to show his wares on Friday albeit that one of his efforts in particular was ordinary and Fantasia probably put in his best effort though still not enough to hold his spot once others are back,  I think Cunners needs more time in the 2s and whilst you could promote Mots on potential I am not sure it is anything but shuffling deckchairs on the Titanic.

Reply #18
Fit and in form I have no doubt.  But ongoing fragility is a problem with Cunners and Mots isn't yet putting in enough and consistent enough effort for mine.  True the supply isn't great and Mots seems the type to lift at the higher level but I think he has to earn the promotion.  Durds had little chance to show his wares on Friday albeit that one of his efforts in particular was ordinary and Fantasia probably put in his best effort though still not enough to hold his spot once others are back,  I think Cunners needs more time in the 2s and whilst you could promote Mots on potential I am not sure it is anything but shuffling deckchairs on the Titanic.

As you say, if Cunners and Mots were fit an in form you'd go for it.
I think at their current levels, they would still offer more.

Reply #19

Yes, if Cuners can get to match fitness without suffering another injury and Motlop starts running with intent rather than just running. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #20
I dont see Fantasia being dropped, Voss obviously likes him and his form while nothing brilliant has improved, if he was going to be dropped it would have been a while back and why change a winning team anyway?
And why change it for a bunch of iffy injury prone players who cant go with VFL kids from the Bullants and Journeymen from Southport?
Apart from Cerra who I would introduce back into the team as the sub initially I wouldnt fix what isnt broken. Id be sticking with Cowan and making sure he doesnt become a Tasmanian player, been doing a great job on his opponents much like Concotta and attacks the ball with ferocity and is an old school style defender.

Reply #21
not much in the reserves to be excited about players like carol and binns do nothing that is a standout ?????

Reply #22
not much in the reserves to be excited about players like carol and binns do nothing that is a standout ?????

No, it doesn't look like anyone in the VFL is making selection difficult for Voss and the MC.

Reply #23
Fantasia has been unimpressive but has been fulfilling a role - Cottrell's role basically.  Cottrell does it better and if it comes down to a choice between them Cotters will win.  And in the pure small forward role his diminished pace, inability to kick over a jam tin and avoidance of physical contact puts him behind the 8 ball.  What he has is experience and nous and that has got him a gig during our injury crisis but I think with a full list he is not in the 23 or even in the first couple in line for promotion.  But a full list is rare as unicorn crap so it will come down to who is out I suspect.