Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 13 2024 Post Game Celebrations - Carlton vs Essendon (Read 6634 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 13 2024 Post Game Celebrations - Carlton vs Essendon

Reply #135
It has to be about more than access to statistics. If our coaching staff have the same footy knowledge and footy IQ as a few big mouths on social media, then we are seriously wasting our time and money, and the club should pack it in and go and play in some dust bowl league out in the boonies, where the local waste collection guy is the coach, physio, high performance manager, list boss………

Reply #136
It has to be about more than access to statistics. If our coaching staff have the same footy knowledge and footy IQ as a few big mouths on social media, then we are seriously wasting our time and money, and the club should pack it in and go and play in some dust bowl league out in the boonies, where the local waste collection guy is the coach, physio, high performance manager, list boss………

Yep
Of course it's more than stats....even advanced ones.
Naturally they play a part in some decisions and the coaches have access to better ones than we have but...

Our head coach has 289 playing games.
He has around 15 years experience as a senior or assistant coach.
Add the experience of our other assistants.

Then add an in depth knowledge of the playing group.

-their strengths and weaknesses
-their injury and form situation at any one time
-priorities they may be working on at any given time.
-what their training loads look like
- development plans.
-how players fit in the team structure and roles they play
-team balance considerations
- opposition strengths and weaknesses in up coming games
-proposed match-ups
-personal issues players may be dealing with (relationships and family illness)
etc  etc.

We think we might know.
We actually have little idea

Reply #137
Yep
Of course it's more than stats....even advanced ones.
Naturally they play a part in some decisions and the coaches have access to better ones than we have but...

Our head coach has 289 playing games.
He has around 15 years experience as a senior or assistant coach.
Add the experience of our other assistants.

Then add an in depth knowledge of the playing group.

-their strengths and weaknesses
-their injury and form situation at any one time
-priorities they may be working on at any given time.
-what their training loads look like
- development plans.
-how players fit in the team structure and roles they play
-team balance considerations
- opposition strengths and weaknesses in up coming games
-proposed match-ups
-personal issues players may be dealing with (relationships and family illness)
etc  etc.

We think we might know.
We actually have little idea

Yes. I agree. Put any of us in the coaches’ box on game day and we would be found out in the first five minutes.

Reply #138
Clearly Lods you think decisions should be made on facts and evidence and made by people who have experience. Get with the program son.

Reply #139
👍🏼🤣
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #140
Yes. I agree. Put any of us in the coaches’ box on game day and we would be found out in the first five minutes.

I doubt whether any of us would last five minutes in the first planning meeting 🙂
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #141
Few collingwood supporters on this forum it appears, everything is black and white.

Nobody is saying statistics is the be all and end all. If it was, we'd have computers as head coaches.

However, people saying statistics don't see this, or can't see this and are of no use are equally wrong.

The truth is in the middle.

When Trigg came to the club he lost his $h!t because we didn't have any kind of analytics in place with our drafting and recruiting. That is, 100% trusting peoples 'eye' and not using statistical evidence to back it up and compare.
Clearly that was wrong.....and we have our poor recruiting/development as proof.

Since then we've come on board with the modern game and have an abundance of statistical information to back our coaches up.
We;ve had a few very good 'moneyball' recruits off the back of it - Think Elijah Hollands as an example.
Alternatively, when you look at what the old fashioned 'eye' test tells us, which got Vossy undone in Brisbane, it also hasn't worked here with Fantasia......but the personal relationships got that done more than statistical.

Coaches have favourites, they are only human.
Fans too.

Players play on emotion....coaches and MC can't afford too.

As i said earlier, ignore statistics at your own peril......we have 20+ years of dark ages as evidence.

Reply #142
The skill is with the human, the human who knows how to interpret data/stats, before during and after a game. And is able to factor in the human elements - intuition, attitude/emotion assessments, good knowledge of the physical attributes of his / her chargers and so on.

You can have the best data/stats in the world, but if the interpreter of that information is a clown... trouble.
You can have unreliable, even ordinary data/stats, but with a superior interpreter/operator... in with a chance.
Bad data/stats, d*ckhead interpreter (egocentric?)... big trouble.
Great data/stats, superior interpreter/operator... lookin' good!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #143
Few collingwood supporters on this forum it appears, everything is black and white.

Nobody is saying statistics is the be all and end all. If it was, we'd have computers as head coaches.

However, people saying statistics don't see this, or can't see this and are of no use are equally wrong.

The truth is in the middle.

When Trigg came to the club he lost his $h!t because we didn't have any kind of analytics in place with our drafting and recruiting. That is, 100% trusting peoples 'eye' and not using statistical evidence to back it up and compare.
Clearly that was wrong.....and we have our poor recruiting/development as proof.

Since then we've come on board with the modern game and have an abundance of statistical information to back our coaches up.
We;ve had a few very good 'moneyball' recruits off the back of it - Think Elijah Hollands as an example.
Alternatively, when you look at what the old fashioned 'eye' test tells us, which got Vossy undone in Brisbane, it also hasn't worked here with Fantasia......but the personal relationships got that done more than statistical.

Coaches have favourites, they are only human.
Fans too.

Players play on emotion....coaches and MC can't afford too.

As i said earlier, ignore statistics at your own peril......we have 20+ years of dark ages as evidence.
I dont think anyone said ignore the stats, but most have said beware of putting too much stock into them.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #144
MBB posted an interesting "statistical analysis" of Tom De Koning's game against Essendon that ventured into the one or two rucks territory.

Champion Data notes De Koning has averaged 21.1 AFL Player Ratings points, 22.3 disposals, 14.7 contested possessions, 9.7 clearances, 4.7 centre-bounce clearances and 6.7 score involvements in that stretch. It ranks him No.1 among the season averages of all rucks throughout that run.

Why then does Tom not appear in the AFL's mid year All-Australian team?  I'm pretty sure that his name wasn't mentioned during the  televised All-Australian selectors' meeting.  Perhaps Stats Insider's AFL Player Ratings can shed some light.  They use a combination of votes, performance assessments and statistical data to rank players.  Tom is currently the ninth ranked ruckman in their ratings (Goldstein is 16th, one behind Pittonet).  I think that by considering factors other than statistics, Stats Insider's ratings better reflect players' performances and influence.  It could be argued that Stats Insider's ratings are less objective than Champion Data's numbers-based system but Champion Data's statistical categories, definitions, weightings, etc are subjective.

Then there's;

Carlton is a much better turnover team when De Koning is playing as a sole ruck. According to Champion Data, the team's scores from turnover differential is -5.3 when Pittonet is paired with De Koning, but +25.4 when De Koning plays alone.

If that's what the statistics tell us, then it must be true.  BUT, is there a causal relationship between scores from turnover and whether  Tom plays a lone hand or with Pitto?  Possibly, but there are other factors like the opposition, the form of other players, umpiring and our other scoring processes.  If we are dominating the clearances and scoring heavily from stoppages, there will limited opportunity to score from turnovers.  And that's where relying of football statistics can lead you astray.

As flawed as the statistical categories and their definitions may be, footy stats may help to identify trends, what's working and what's not, and where game plans or structures might need a tweak, but only if the limitations of the data are understood.  Furthermore, those statistics should not be viewed in isolation but in the context of the full range of factors that influence footballers' performances and the results of games.

Adam Saad has played eight games this season for seven wins.  He was subbed off in the game we lost.  Statistically, if Adam plays the whole game, we will win.  Let's see how that holds up  :) 

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #145
I dont think anyone said ignore the stats, but most have said beware of putting too much stock into them.

Exactly
They're part of the total package of assessment that also includes observation, and the tricky one "bias".

As has been pointed out...the blokes with the best stats aren't us.
It's also true that the blokes with the most complete football experience aren't us either.

Should we have a view then?....
of course we should!
That's what drives this place....opinion, discussion and argument
There's a wide variety of football watching, experience and opinions amongst the group.
Over the years folks have pointed out different aspects of players and coaches that others may not have noticed.
Quite often a suggestion that may seem strange at the time turns out to be quite valid as time progresses.

The thing though, is that our views must be seen with a bit of an 'asterix' because they don't come with all the detailed information that those at the club possess.

So a point of view must always come (even subconsciously) with the caveat...."In my opinion"
To think we know better than those with much more 'hands on' experience and closer to the action is just a tad arrogant.

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Reply #146
Yep, there are seemingly correlations that some are arguing as causality, but my bigger problem is with some of the conclusions.

@DJC Regarding Saad, shhhhhh it's top secret! ;)

What if we put Saad together with the Pitto / TDK centre square dominance, would it help? The only game they have played together this year was Adelaide when Saad did his hammy in the 2nd Qtr, I suppose Saad did his hammy because we had two rucks! ::)
"Ruck, ruck, ruck, ruck ....... Ruck, ruck, ruck, ruck"

Reply #147
MBB posted an interesting "statistical analysis" of Tom De Koning's game against Essendon that ventured into the one or two rucks territory.

Champion Data notes De Koning has averaged 21.1 AFL Player Ratings points, 22.3 disposals, 14.7 contested possessions, 9.7 clearances, 4.7 centre-bounce clearances and 6.7 score involvements in that stretch. It ranks him No.1 among the season averages of all rucks throughout that run.

Why then does Tom not appear in the AFL's mid year All-Australian team?  I'm pretty sure that his name wasn't mentioned during the  televised All-Australian selectors' meeting.  Perhaps Stats Insider's AFL Player Ratings can shed some light.  They use a combination of votes, performance assessments and statistical data to rank players.  Tom is currently the ninth ranked ruckman in their ratings (Goldstein is 16th, one behind Pittonet).  I think that by considering factors other than statistics, Stats Insider's ratings better reflect players' performances and influence.  It could be argued that Stats Insider's ratings are less objective than Champion Data's numbers-based system but Champion Data's statistical categories, definitions, weightings, etc are subjective.

Then there's;

Carlton is a much better turnover team when De Koning is playing as a sole ruck. According to Champion Data, the team's scores from turnover differential is -5.3 when Pittonet is paired with De Koning, but +25.4 when De Koning plays alone.

If that's what the statistics tell us, then it must be true.  BUT, is there a causal relationship between scores from turnover and whether  Tom plays a lone hand or with Pitto?  Possibly, but there are other factors like the opposition, the form of other players, umpiring and our other scoring processes.  If we are dominating the clearances and scoring heavily from stoppages, there will limited opportunity to score from turnovers.  And that's where relying of football statistics can lead you astray.

As flawed as the statistical categories and their definitions may be, footy stats may help to identify trends, what's working and what's not, and where game plans or structures might need a tweak, but only if the limitations of the data are understood.  Furthermore, those statistics should not be viewed in isolation but in the context of the full range of factors that influence footballers' performances and the results of games.

Adam Saad has played eight games this season for seven wins.  He was subbed off in the game we lost.  Statistically, if Adam plays the whole game, we will win.  Let's see how that holds up  :)

A couple things from this essay i want to point out....
1. The AA televised thing.
I didn't see it. I've read things about it though. Weiterings name wasn't mentioned in the broadcast either, however, Buckley, who is one of the selectors, said his name was absolutely mentioned and was in his team in fact, but that not everything made the broadcast.
That being said, there was talk during last game about TDK being in line for AA honours. He is starting to get noticed. Maybe his name was spoken about but not televised as well. We don't know.

2. Scores from turnovers aka much better team.
This i have issue with...and you correctly highlighted this too.
You can only score so many goals in a game. If you are good in one area, you are lacking in another.
So scores from turnover is up when TDK plays, which is fine.
However, that also means scores from stoppages are down. Which could mean that when Pitto plays we get more/better clearances and goals from clearances so we don't need to score from stoppages.
That all makes sense to the casual observer too. Pittonets #1 string is ruck craft....and less so chasing and pressuring around the ground. Which is opposite to TDK. He is more athletic and more valuable around the ground albeit less so in terms of ruck craft.
There are many ways to skin a cat and looking at one stat up and the other down is not good or bad, simply different.

3. re Saad...
same can basically be said about Fogarty. He is 17-2 or something ridiculous over the past 2 seasons.
Correlation rather than causation.
.....but its fun none the less.

Reply #148

the vibe i got from watching that AA TV thing, was that there wasnt a heap of stats/science put into it (maybe aside from Buckley) - there was a lot of "jeez, he has been pretty good the last couple of weeks" as the basis for putting a name up.   I am sure i heard someone say of Mac Andrew "did you see his first quarter on Curnow, last week" - if that is the basis for making the squad, then it obvous why they have so many misses

Reply #149
the vibe i got from watching that AA TV thing, was that there wasnt a heap of stats/science put into it (maybe aside from Buckley) - there was a lot of "jeez, he has been pretty good the last couple of weeks" as the basis for putting a name up.   I am sure i heard someone say of Mac Andrew "did you see his first quarter on Curnow, last week" - if that is the basis for making the squad, then it obvious why they have so many misses

I thought that it was weird that they approached it on a club by club basis rather than identifying the best contenders for each position.

Anyway my point is that, despite what Champion Data's statistics may indicate, De Koning is miles away from the best ruckman in the competition.