Skip to main content
Topic: General Discussions (Read 185280 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: General Discussions

Reply #1995
Historically, power asymmetries have never been corrected voluntarily. There isn't one example that I can recall where those at the top cede power over a hot cocoa and marshmallows. Historically, their hand has always been forced. Lidia Thorpe is rough around the edges and doesn't mind crude tactics (or maybe doesn't know any better), but she does have a point. It's taken 200 years for First Nations voices to be even heard, and there's still plenty to do. Martin Luther King was correct when he said the arc of the moral universe is long.

This lack of a first nation's voice is really a bit of a myth.
First nations people have  a strong voice.  They don't always agree  and are not necessarily always listened to especially by political folk. If you dont think they have a voice then you haven't been paying attention.Indigenous departments are part of State and Federal  Govenments and contain many Indigenous people. We had Indigenous aides and teachers in my schools for the last 20 years of my teaching providing an Indigenous perspective.

The issues facing indigenous people are significant and complex. Is enough being done to address these real issues.? Certainly not!

And folks like Lidia Thorpe with her distractions are not helping the situation. She is divisive and alienates people. Of all the things she talked about yesterday none were solutions, just grievances and insults.

Reply #1996
First nations people have  a strong voice.  They don't always agree  and are not necessarily always listened to especially by political folk. If you dont think they have a voice then you haven't been paying attention.Indigenous departments are part of State and Federal  Govenments and contain many Indigenous people. We had Indigenous aides and teachers in my schools for the last 20 years of my teaching providing an Indigenous perspective.

The issues facing indigenous people are significant and complex. Is enough being done to address these real issues.? Certainly not!

And folks like Lidia Thorpe with her distractions are not helping the situation. She is divisive and alienates people. Of all the things she talked about yesterday none were solutions, just grievances and insults.

If the powers that be are not listening and not acting, or listening and not acting, then it proves my point that First Nations people are still lacking power.

With your last paragraph, Americans said exactly the same about MLK, i.e that his civil rights demonstrations etc. hurt Negroes more than they helped. I'm not in any way suggesting that Thorpe is on par with MLK, but the comparison hardly flatters our generation.

Reply #1997

If the powers that be are not listening and not acting, or listening and not acting, then it proves my point that First Nations people are still lacking power.

With your last paragraph, Americans said exactly the same about MLK, i.e that his civil rights demonstrations etc. hurt Negroes more than they helped. I'm not in any way suggesting that Thorpe is on par with MLK, but the comparison hardly flatters our generation.

Lidia Thorpes methods are the complete opposite of King's. Maybe she should take a leaf from that playbook.

(Oh...and King...well that's my generation) :D  :D

Reply #1998

Lidia Thorpes methods are the complete opposite of King's. Maybe she should take a leaf from that playbook.

Perhaps my earlier post lacked clarity. Whether Thorpe's methods are same or different to MLK is not really the point. MLK was the most hated man in America when he died, and the consensus position among surveyed Americans is that he was divisive and his methods counterproductive to the Negro cause, which is where the comparison to Thorpe comes in, or Adam Goodes for that matter.

Reply #1999

Perhaps my earlier post lacked clarity. Whether Thorpe's methods are same or different to MLK is not really the point. MLK was the most hated man in America when he died, and the consensus position among surveyed Americans is that he was divisive and his methods counterproductive to the Negro cause, which is where the comparison to Thorpe comes in, or Adam Goodes for that matter.

Do you really think history will judge Lidia Thorpe as Australia's equivalent of  MLK?

King was a leader of people. Thorpe seems to be only interested in her own profile.

Reply #2000
Thorpe appears to be as disliked on her own side of politics as by the opposition.

I mentioned a long time ago that I fear many have lost their way, and when they become extreme they talk crap, then when they get called out for talking crap they claim it's institutionalised racism. This is straight out of Trump's play book, talk crap, then when they call you out for talking crap claim you are being persecuted and discriminated against.

I notice the NASCA board have come out and potted Thorpe today, declaring she doesn't speak for young indigenous Australians.
"Ruck, ruck, ruck, ruck ....... Ruck, ruck, ruck, ruck"

Reply #2001
Do you really think history will judge Lidia Thorpe as Australia's equivalent of  MLK?

King was a leader of people. Thorpe seems to be only interested in her own profile.

No, they're not equals. I don't think they're equals, and said as much in my previous post.

Reply #2002
Attitudes (hatred and anger) like Thorpe's create wars not solve problems or achieve outcomes. The only thing she has in common with MLK is that she is of the same species (human), that's about it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #2003
Politicising race is almost racism defined.
"Ruck, ruck, ruck, ruck ....... Ruck, ruck, ruck, ruck"