Skip to main content
Topic: Trumpled (Alternative Leading) (Read 485191 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Trumpled (Alternative Leading)

Reply #3675
Vance will say whatever is needed to move to the next rung on the ladder.    You can see him positioning himself to be the 'messiah' once the Trump train has left the GOP station.......
I saw a post that suggests Vance might be betting on Trump winning the election then being the victim of a successful assassination attempt, I presume for Vance to then walk into the top job, but I'm not sure it works that way, the post states something about the 25th amendment but I'm not up to date with US political laws.

But regardless, if you live by the sword you die by the sword, and Vance should remember that!
"Ruck, ruck, ruck, ruck ....... Ruck, ruck, ruck, ruck"

Reply #3676
I saw a post that suggests Vance might be betting on Trump winning the election then being the victim of a successful assassination attempt, I presume for Vance to then walk into the top job, but I'm not sure it works that way, the post states something about the 25th amendment but I'm not up to date with US political laws.

But regardless, if you live by the sword you die by the sword, and Vance should remember that!

Vance becomes President and then chooses a new VP.
Everything transitions smoothly unless that VP (chosen by Vance) and others decide he is unfit to be President.
(wouldn't happen)

Twenty-Fifth Amendment
Section 1

In case of the removal of the President from office or of his death or resignation, the Vice President shall become President.

Section 2

Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress.

Section 3

Whenever the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration that he is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, and until he transmits to them a written declaration to the contrary, such powers and duties shall be discharged by the Vice President as Acting President.

Section 4

Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.

Thereafter, when the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration that no inability exists, he shall resume the powers and duties of his office unless the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive department or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit within four days to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office. Thereupon Congress shall decide the issue, assembling within forty-eight hours for that purpose if not in session. If the Congress, within twenty-one days after receipt of the latter written declaration, or, if Congress is not in session, within twenty-one days after Congress is required to assemble, determines by two-thirds vote of both Houses that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall continue to discharge the same as Acting President; otherwise, the President shall resume the powers and duties of his office.

It's probably a 50/50 bet that if Trump wins... Vance would be President before 2028
Unless of course he falls out of favour with the boss (which is also a 50/50)

Reply #3677
A lot of my understanding of the US political system is derived from watching The West Wing 🙂

If I remember correctly, when the Democratic President couldn’t carry out his role because his daughter had been kidnapped, he appointed a Republican Congressman as Acting President.  As usual with that series, the legal mechanisms for that action were worked through as Bartlet convinced his VP, cabinet, Congress, etc that what he was proposing was constitutional and the best course of action.

I can’t see anything in Lods’ post that would enable that to happen … but if it was on The West Wing it must be true 🙂
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #3678
A lot of my understanding of the US political system is derived from watching The West Wing 🙂

If I remember correctly, when the Democratic President couldn’t carry out his role because his daughter had been kidnapped, he appointed a Republican Congressman as Acting President.  As usual with that series, the legal mechanisms for that action were worked through as Bartlet convinced his VP, cabinet, Congress, etc that what he was proposing was constitutional and the best course of action.

I can’t see anything in Lods’ post that would enable that to happen … but if it was on The West Wing it must be true 🙂

Yep.
Fred Flintsone became President for a while.

What happened there was  John Goodman was the 'Speaker of the House' and as such was third in line for the presidency after the President and VP.
The problem was that there was no VP at that stage because he had resigned after a scandal, so the Speaker was next in line.
I forget why Bartlet hadn't appointed a VP.

The West Wing has a lot to answer for...it raised our expectations as to how a President should behave.

Reply #3679
Yep.
Fred Flintsone became President for a while.

What happened there was  John Goodman was the 'Speaker of the House' and as such was third in line for the presidency after the President and VP.
The problem was that there was no VP at that stage because he had resigned after a scandal, so the Speaker was next in line.
I forget why Bartlet hadn't appointed a VP.

The West Wing has a lot to answer for...it raised our expectations as to how a President should behave.

Thanks Lods, it’s all coming back to me now.

And after serving as Acting President for five minutes, John Goodman’s character earned the right to be referred to as Mr President for the rest of his life.

While The West Wing may have raised our expectations, it seems that it didn’t have the same effect on Americans 🙁
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #3680
While The West Wing may have raised our expectations, it seems that it didn’t have the effect on Americans 🙁
There is a huge void in the GOP demographic, that sits between those who can't afford cable and those that own the cable. ;)

Reply #3682
As crazy as it might sound (but crazy is the normal in this race ;) ) the result of the election may be determined by how the Biden/Harris administration is "perceived" to respond to the Hurricane about to hit Florida.
It won't be about the actual response, but how it is spun by various sides, the disinformation, and how the voters digest that information.

The problem for the Democrats is that when you're up against a Hurricane the results are never going to be good.

Reply #3683
As crazy as it might sound (but crazy is the normal in this race ;) ) the result of the election may be determined by how the Biden/Harris administration is "perceived" to respond to the Hurricane about to hit Florida.
It won't be about the actual response, but how it is spun by various sides, the disinformation, and how the voters digest that information.

The problem for the Democrats is that when you're up against a Hurricane the results are never going to be good.

Everyone seems to agree that the response to the last hurricane was as good as it gets, with one exception.  That person also claimed that hurricanes at this time of the year are unusual despite it being peak hurricane season 🙄

The hurricanes are hammering the red states and may not have much impact on the election.  Outstanding hurricane responses won’t flip those states.

Reply #3684
Everyone seems to agree that the response to the last hurricane was as good as it gets, with one exception.  That person also claimed that hurricanes at this time of the year are unusual despite it being peak hurricane season 🙄

The hurricanes are hammering the red states and may not have much impact on the election.  Outstanding hurricane responses won’t flip those states.

Spend a half hour on the American cable channels this morning and have a listen to Biden talking about some of the rumour and disinformation at his brief press conference regarding the hurricane.
It's going to dominate 'political' news for the next week or two.

The ability to actually vote may also be an issue for the folks affected.

Reply #3685
The ability to actually vote may also be an issue for the folks affected.

That could be a critical factor, particularly with Democrats being more likely to vote early (and often 🤣).

Reply #3686
As crazy as it might sound (but crazy is the normal in this race ;) )
As crazy as it may sound the Dark MAGA crew are claiming that the hurricane was engineered by Democrats to stop Republicans voting.

And there are reports out that the GOP is already sowing seeds of doubt about voting, I gather that because they don't like what the polls are saying.

Rather than change direction the GOP is happy to crash headlong into a wall, before blaming the wall!

Reply #3687
As crazy as it may sound the Dark MAGA crew are claiming that the hurricane was engineered by Democrats to stop Republicans voting.

And there are reports out that the GOP is already sowing seeds of doubt about voting, I gather that because they don't like what the polls are saying.

Rather than change direction the GOP is happy to crash headlong into a wall, before blaming the wall!

While MAGA may have effectively taken control of GOP, there are still prominent GOP representatives who are concerned about the threat to their form of democracy posed by MAGA.  I think that it's worth drawing a distinction between MAGA and GOP figures who have either endorsed Harris or made it known that they won't vote for Aurangzeb, including Mike Pence, James Comey, Andrew McCabe (who believes that Aurangzeb is a Russian asset), Dick Cheney, Mitt Romney, Liz Cheney,  and many others

Reply #3688

Take a leaf out of Trumps book and just say something inane like Hurricanes are bad and they will go 'punch it in the face' or something equally childish. Seems to work for Trump.

Reply #3689
I'm triggered by Trump's rhetoric, he continues to make the world a meaner more dangerous place for his own financial benefit.

Now I'm becoming more and more cynical about the "assassination attempts", it seems he gets a bump in the polls every time they are reported, and this latest "survival" as reported by News Ltd was someone caught 2km away with guns and a fake ID.

Who'd have thought within a 2km radius you'd find someone carrying a gun in the USA, and who'd have thought in the world Trump creates there would be fakery? ::)