Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 24 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs St, Kilda (Read 4803 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 24 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs St, Kilda

Reply #105
Some of our players are going up a level at the right time of year. Just booked flights and accommodation.   See you in brisvegas
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #106
Paul P, I think you have missed my point. I am not talking about manic intensity I am talking about not giving up and trying to play four quarters. There are four games this year where we have exhibited these traits, Round 1 when Brisbane blew us out of the water and we lost Docherty in the first half but we kept fighting, the Geelong game, the WCE game where we took a half arsed side over there and won, and Sunday's game where we took St.Kilda to the last kick. Don't give up, do your best and don't stop trying and don't worry about the result.

Reply #107
Moir. Now Vossy said in the media conference that Moir's body is not up to a full game. Bullsh*t. Do not shut the door on this bloke. X factor in a final is gold. He showed that in heat he has smarts and is dangerous.

Moir’s lack of fitness was discussed when he was drafted.  He was way behind our other draftees and struggled through the pre-season.  His form in the VFL reflected that; flashes of brilliance but long periods MIA.

His use as a tactical sub late in the game suits his level of fitness and his talent.  However, he could be a liability if he was activated as an injury sub early in the game.

Moir will be a ripper with a full preseason under his belt.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #108
Ironic that Paddy Dow stuck it up us.

by kicking a goal from a bull-sht free?  did nothing else all game.  

was thinking that, even with all these injuries,  dow and stocker still may have struggled to get a game with us

Reply #110
Young wasn't too bad today, but his decision making is not good. We need to find another tall defender, as we can't relay on Young when the pressure is on.

Decent defender but looks like a deer in the headlights when we make the mistake of passing the ball to him and, after his usual indecision, his disposal leaves a lot to be desired.

Reply #111
Just back from the game. Very disappointed.
[1] The Umpires were terrible. The things they missed and ignored when watching less than 15 m from the ball. They have no idea how long 15 m actually is. They simply weren't watching what happened or waiting for the other guy to make a decision. Most unprofessional performance I can remember, and I have a long memory.

the 15m thing was a joke, esp early.  aints were hitting 4m kicks out of d50....

Reply #112
Decent defender but looks like a deer in the headlights when we make the mistake of passing the ball to him and, after his usual indecision, his disposal leaves a lot to be desired.
Its a bit like the old fashioned ruckman trained to dish it off immediately to someone running passed.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #113
the 15m thing was a joke, esp early.  aints were hitting 4m kicks out of d50....
Just appalling umpiring with respect to kick distances all day.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #114
Acres and Hollands weren't bad, but we have to develop enough negative from them to close down their opponents.
And I missed mentioning Cincotta, who I thought did a great job.

Acres was a warrior again.  def not close to fit, but busts a gut at every contest

Reply #115
Why wasn't Moir in the selected side?
Why was Caroll the one subbed out instead of Motlop or Durdin?
Was Durdin fully fit?
Motlop looks to be a very lazy player to me, I see injured player give more effort.

Reply #116
by kicking a goal from a bull-sht free?  did nothing else all game.  

was thinking that, even with all these injuries,  dow and stocker still may have struggled to get a game with us

That free to Dow was a shocker.  It was holding the ball or, at worst, a ball up.

And what was Lyon thinking when he asked Stocker to play on Cripps?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #117

Ii seemed to me that Young's first thought after winning possession was to look to handpass to a teammate running past.  Was that under instruction?

He does wave the ball in a circular motion before kicking.  I don't know whether that affects his disposal but it adds a little time to his kicking action.

Apart from that, I thought that he was OK and our defence more balanced than it has been.  We did miss McGovern/Kemp intercepting and helping out in marking contests.

Reply #118
On the umpiring, I though the bigger problem were the frees not being paid as opposed to some they paid.

In particular, our blokes gang tackled opponents who were permitted to either hang on to the footy much longer than anytime in the last couple of months, or stone cold drop it unpenalized. Now I don't mind them putting the whistle away, but will Charlie again get that option if he returns?

Phillipou and I think Higgins both made blatant front on contact with our defenders that resulted in goals, Phillipou was a straight out no eyes for the footy front on push into the guts of a marking player and he wasn't penalised, I think it was Acres trying to mark. The umpire in both cases was standing between the camera and the players watching, it was unmissable! Saad brushed somebodies forearm from front on and got penalised!

The only other bad one was "the guess" by the umpire that penalised Cripps for a throw, Cripps clearly handballed and the umpire was behind player bodies and completely unsighted.
"Ruck, ruck, ruck, ruck ....... Ruck, ruck, ruck, ruck"

Reply #119

I think part of the problem with his disposal is lack of time.
I think the majority of the time, his 'lack of time' comes about because he fumbles so much.
If he was cleaner with the ball and 1-grabbed it, he (and we) would be much better.

Its something i think as a club we have improved this year. Being clean with picking up the ball and not fumbling it. So when it does happen (and it always seems to happen to Young) it stands out a lot.

Not sure if he'll get a chance this year to fix that now.