Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 20 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 4905 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 20 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #45
While.i was looking through the stats I noticed something interesting in regards to Kemp.

He played 100% TOG in quarters 1, 2 and 3.
He played only 54% TOG in the last.

I noted before that I saw him on the bench in the last when we needed something from him and vossy didn't try much with him when we needed it.

Now to me that shows either....
1. A severe lack of trust in Kemp to do what's required when it matters.
2. He got injured.

Either way, it's not good news for us and him.
Kemp isnt big enough to play CHB, we dont have a real deal CHB thats the problem...McGovern and Kemp are essentially the same type of intercept defender and there is probably room for one only and you can throw Marchbank in that group too.
We need a 196cm/100kg plus strong CHB who can take the load off Weitering as you, I,  and a few others have discussed ad nauseam. Our defense rebounds well but doesnt defend so well and allows too many opposition marks and when you get spuds like Esava influencing games down forward its time to rethink what we are doing and admit its not working.

Reply #46
Kemp isnt big enough to play CHB, we dont have a real deal CHB thats the problem...McGovern and Kemp are essentially the same type of intercept defender and there is probably room for one only and you can throw Marchbank in that group too.
We need a 196cm/100kg plus strong CHB who can take the load off Weitering as you, I,  and a few others have discussed ad nauseam. Our defense rebounds well but doesnt defend so well and allows too many opposition marks and when you get spuds like Esava influencing games down forward its time to rethink what we are doing and admit its not working.

Unfortunately our Cap was to full to get Harry's brother. That was the plan early last season.

Reply #47

You are preaching to the converted mate.

My only point re Kemp was that he should've been forward (if fit) in the last.

Reply #48
Some facts
- we lack pace
- Pittonet, Marchbank, Young & Durdin nowhere near AFl standard
- we need so much more from Cottrell and Cerra
- O Hollands continues to make inexcusable mistakes at this level
- no team can sustain the sheer number of injury prone players on our list (Martin, Cunningham, McGovern, Marchbank, Williams)
- we lack young talent
- we have way too much salary cap invested in too few. We need to rebalance.

We’re going to need go trade heavily to rebalance the list and cut the injury prone deadwood once and for all. We’re a long way from a premiership.

Those draft picks will be used to get enough points for.the Campo brothers. In a window it's hard to get rid of many and replace then with kids. Free agents seemed to have signed. Hayward would have been great to get, then you could let go of Martin. He re-signed, though. We many delay.their contracts to see what we can get but we may be stuck with them.

Reply #49
- Too much back slapping and bath water drinking at half time for my liking.
- Defence is a shambles, has been for weeks, wish our fwds could have that dished up to them by oppo.
- Enough with Cunningham already., clean your locker out son.
- I think we are pretenders.

It's had that fake feel since WB's IMO. Like we'd hit a threshold. Injuries adding up again and we don't have the relative depth to cover. Unfortunately our bottom dozen aren't AFL standard so the 'next man in' isn't sustainable.

Not too many positives from the past few weeks. If nothing improves significantly we'll slide quickly.

Go Blues

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #50
I'm thinking we come good again but don't want to be 7th when we do.

Since 2020 we have crashed and burnt late in a season bar last year. Seems we peak at wrong times.

Reply #51
Unfortunately our Cap was to full to get Harry's brother. That was the plan early last season.
Given we will be shelling out for more big contracts like TDK, Walsh etc that cap situation wont be getting any better even with increases and I think we will have to moneyball a solution from another club. I thought the McKay bros didnt want to play with each other anyway?

Reply #52
Martin matchbank cunningham all can play but they are fragile and completely unreliable. All 3 have to be delisted at years end. We need to put a line through them and move on. Given more the enough time to try and get them going and they just keep breaking down. They are all cooked.

Reply #53
Seriously martin? Never plays.
JSOS? Jack of all trades great back ip player but without be bias he is not a starting 18 player.
Williams ? Most on here bagged the guy except when he was moved forward - saying when we had a healthy list he is on the edge now he is one of the reasons we lose. Nope im not buying it.

If we cant beat a mid road team at home with a top 4 spot on the line we are also just a mid road team. Losers make excuses the champion teams get it done against everyone but maybe the very top. Port are not that and the team we fielded should have got it done but we failed.
It is what it is. We are now in a fight again to make the 8 and games against Pies hawks and even saints are no sure thing so unless out form improves we will drop to the bottom of the 8.

I started to foolishly believe we were better. We are not.
Have to agree Shawny, thought things were different. I see things that we are not doing now that we were doing at the start of the year. We have gone away from selfless footy we were playing and it’s back to every man for them selves. Owies blast away from long range when Charlie had separation and was free in a pocket. We aint winning jack crap playing the way we are now.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #54
First choice maybe.
Replacement talls are d grade (don't give e grades anymore otherwise they would be here).

Look I was, I wouldn't say optimistic, but excited to see how we'd go with mix n matching the players we had available.

However....It was a terrible fail.

Both in terms of output and 'data collected'
We should've tried to move players around a bit more to find a mix that worked. We didn't.
We did move Kemp forward, but we didn't keep at it for long. Not a lot of moves tried, and very few of them did much good. :(

I think pitto was good in the ruck.
I thought Charlie was good up forward.
I thought weiters was good down back.
I thought gov was passable.
I thought Kemp and young were largely disappointing.
I can't agree with this, I'm afraid.
{1} Pittonet: in the first half he was pretty good, but after half time he got smashed. Sweet gave him a lesson on how to palm the ball to advantage. Port got their hands on the ball first and got the ball out too easily.
Marc did take 2 marks tonight and was one of the reasons we played as well as we did in the 2nd quarter, but after that he barely touched the ball.
{2} Charlie I agree totally: he was probably our most effective player, even with the poor quality of our forward entrees.
{3} Weitering dominated Dixon. Dixon had 8 possessions and got 7 of them while on the ball. Unfortunately, we could get any drive from Weitering: he was too busy.
{4} Apart from one early contest, where he was out-bodied too easily, McGovern had a great night. He was reasonable in the air and his kicking wasn't bad. Not sure why he was off late: hope he has no new injury.
{5} Kemp was one of the reasons we came good in the 2nd quarter: he got totally on top of his opponent and took a large number of interceptions. He took more intercepts than any other Carlton player. But, like many of his teammates, he struggled a bit after half time. When he dropped that crucial mark ... He did spend some time forward, but he struggled to get into the game there.
Young was disastrous, he was even reasonable in patches, but he isn't a ruckman or a forward. It really showed.

Too many fumbles. Too slow to make decisions. Not enough 'swinging around' from vossy.
Far too accurate: we fumbled the ball a hell of a lot after half time. Walsh got run down and penalized too often. We made very slow decisions, taking the 'safe' way out, but it didn't prove to be safe.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #55
At the ground I thought Pittonrt was useless. Charlie was well beaten.weitering beat Dixon but not much else.
I don't think Pitto is 100 %. His form of late hasn't been great. He got a lot of possessions against Collingwood last week, but his ruck work was not that good. Tonight, Sweet killed him after half time and gave Port first use of the pill. That turned the game.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #56
Some facts
- we lack pace
- Pittonet, Marchbank, Young & Durdin nowhere near AFl standard
- we need so much more from Cottrell and Cerra
- O Hollands continues to make inexcusable mistakes at this level
- no team can sustain the sheer number of injury prone players on our list (Martin, Cunningham, McGovern, Marchbank, Williams)
- we lack young talent
- we have way too much salary cap invested in too few. We need to rebalance.

We’re going to need go trade heavily to rebalance the list and cut the injury prone deadwood once and for all. We’re a long way from a premiership.
I wish I could disagree with you, but we were very slow tonight. Not first to the ball.
Cerra is a shadow of himself. He probably needs time in the 2's to recover some form before the finals.
Cottrell was bad, but he lowered his colours. He isn't in form yet either.
We struggled to get anything from our small forwards: Owies had 6 possessions, Motlop had 7, Fog had 11 and most of those early.
Ollie Hollands needs to look at his brother's disposal. Lije's kicks were like scalpels, Ollies were messy too often.

Yes, we have too many injury prone guys. We can't carry them all.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #57
Looks like a repeat of last season. Finish out of the top 4. Cop difficult finals and a final away where we have to travel to end our finals hopes.  Seriously thought this could have been a year to win a flag a few games ago. Based on current form this is nowhere near the case. Brisbane, Fremantle and GWS will push us down the 5th soon. Maybe we have become what Richmond was when they were Ninthmond. Maybe we could become Fifthton. Even though injuries are killing us, our lack of desperation to get the job done is half our problem. We won’t find extra pace and speed, or class in the remaining games this season. Imagine West Coast is the only win we get from here on and miss the 8. Are we only making up the numbers in the top 8? Losing to GWS, Bulldogs and Port suggests we are not genuine. Last season we beat 8 out of 9 teams to end the season and teams in the top 8. Maybe the wheels have fallen off. In a worse position than last season. At least we carried form through to finals. Should have left this a day later to reflect on what to post. Very poor back half of the season so far. Can’t find a way to win 5 or 6 games in a row as the top sides generally can. No confidence for our next 2 outings. None at all.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #58
{1} Pittonet: in the first half he was pretty good, but after half time he got smashed. Sweet gave him a lesson on how to palm the ball to advantage. Port got their hands on the ball first and got the ball out too easily.
Marc did take 2 marks tonight and was one of the reasons we played as well as we did in the 2nd quarter, but after that he barely touched the ball.
Some inaccuracies with this post.

1. Pittonet and sweet had the same amount of disposals in the 2nd half. Sweet had 1 more hitout in the 2nd half. Pitto had 1 more clearance in this time. (Cant access hta stats)
2. Pittonet took both his marks in the first quarter. Had 5 touches to sweets 0, but lost hitouts 10-3. 1-0 in clearances.
3. His 2nd quarter
Hitouts 12-10
Clearances 3-2
Disposals 3-2

I think his best was Q1 and broke even every quarter from there.

Edit: TOG stats shows sweet played 88% pitto played 75%. That is equivalent to an extra 16 minute of play. 16 minutes of play where he was up against our backup ruck.
Yet no advantage in the stats.

Reply #59
This is becoming a repeat of 2022.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!